How To Properly Flush 1997 Yamaha 150

jasonalden

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a Yamaha 150 on a boat that currently is stored in the water (saltwater). <br /><br />After each outting, I raise the engine to full up position, then I disconnect the screw-on line from the engine and connect it to my hose. Then I run the water for about 5 minutes. For that time the water streams out of the pee hole and trickles from the near the propeller (impeller intake area).<br /><br />My questions:<br />1) Is this process sufficient for flushing the engine - without starting the engine am I actually getting water through the critical parts of the engine?<br /><br />2) What is the preferable position that the engine should :rolleyes: remain in? I store the boat in the water with the engine fully up (not in the water at all), but it seems to me that water will not fully drain out of the engine in this position. Would the engine be better stored in a full down position on a lift or trailer so that it can drain fully?<br /><br />Thanks!<br />JA in SW Florida<br /> http://thealdens.org/family/SummerMisc2004/AmberBonesIILeft.htm

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How To Properly Flush 1997 Yamaha 150

I would have reservations about using the supplied flush system unless no other choice is available. Even though better than nothing, it does not do the job the more convential running the motor on the hose does. Once you have lowered and drained the motor, it shoud be safe to store trimmed up in warm climate. If it gets below freezing, this is not a good idea.