Suzuki DF250 steering problems

rickjames

Recruit
I have a Suzuki DF250 (4 stroke) installed on a new 2004 Rinalli 21' boat I just bought. I thought I had a problem with the Seastar hydraulic steering, but after Rinalli changed the cylinder and switched to a helm unit that moves less fluid per revolution, the steering torque is still extremely high. Rinalli and I are both scratching our heads trying to solve this problem (great service from Rinalli). I'm using a Suzuki 16" wheel that is recommended for this engine. Rinalli tried three of the 16" Suzuki wheels and still could not eliminate the high steering torque. I'm beginning to believe this is a common problem with this engine on smaller boats that Suzuki has not owned up to. My guess is the high steering torque is created by either the prop diameter/design or the lower unit design or a combination of both. I would like to hear from boat owners that have single engine installations with the DF250 and have the same problem. I understand many of the DF250 installs require a bolt on torque tamer on the Skeg to solve this problem. However for me this is not what I call a real fix to the problem, but rather a band aid. You can e-mail me direct at ricjames@bellsouth.net

gss036

Commander
Re: Suzuki DF250 steering problems

I am not familiar with the DF250, or what you are referring to as a torque tamer. Most all outboards use a anode of some type behind the prop to help with the steering torque. No matter what engine one uses, there is going to be torque on a single engine.<br />I use a Hynautic (same as Seastar) system with my merc and it works great.<br />I would suggest that you try to bleed (purge) your hoses at the steering cylinder to make sure you do not have any air trapped in them. Your system probably requires about 25# air pressure in the reservoir.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> with hydraulic steering you should have no torque feedback at all.<br /> if you suspect a problem with the steering email teleflex. they are good with customer relations.<br /> as far as steering torque come on, get real, that is 250 ponies<br /> its gonna torque<br /> your spinning a 16" paddle underwater at 5000 rpm with 250 ponies. what excatly do you expect? but if its feeding back to the helm and causing the cyl to accept torque feedback you have a teleflex problem not a suzuki problem.<br /> good luck and keep posting

rickjames

Recruit

Thanks for the posts. The teleflex hydraulic steering was replaced a few weeks ago and the problem still exists (so this has been eliminated). The system has been bleed and then re-bleed numerous times to verify air entrapment is not the culprit.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I am telling you its not an engine or maanufacturing problem. its the helm or the set up. email teleflex. you will find them very helpful. good luck and keep posting

mpetrowicz

Recruit

Originally posted by gss036:<br /> I am not familiar with the DF250, or what you are referring to as a torque tamer. Most all outboards use a anode of some type behind the prop to help with the steering torque. No matter what engine one uses, there is going to be torque on a single engine.<br />I use a Hynautic (same as Seastar) system with my merc and it works great.<br />I would suggest that you try to bleed (purge) your hoses at the steering cylinder to make sure you do not have any air trapped in them. Your system probably requires about 25# air pressure in the reservoir.

mpetrowicz

Recruit

Have kinda the same issue with a DT 115 4 stroke suzuki getting horrible feed back and some hard to handle torque motor wants to go hard right as soon as i let the wheel go any suggestions?<br />I think my sterring wowe is me.<br />Mark

DanMcK

Seaman

Hello Mark, on the bottom of the anti cavitation plate, just in back of the prop is the Trim Tab. Some trim tabs have index holes, some have an angle indicator. For a veer to Starboard (right) Loosen the bolt of the trim tab and move the trim tab so that the trailing edge of the tab is to the right (viewed from behind). Test the boat and move the trim tab as needed. On My DF115 the tab is in the 2nd index hole. I have no feedback what so ever. I wish I could help Rick J but I am baffled, the only thing I can think of, is that possibly his trim tab just does not have enough surface area to overcome the steering torque. Maybe a different trim tab would help. Good luck, Let us know how ya make out.<br /> Dan