1990 yamaha 150 cold start issue

jmacd99

Cadet
Hello, "my new too me" 1990 yamaha 150hp 6 cylinder 2 stroke works perfectly with the exception of cold starting. When starting the engine for the first time each day I usually have to turn it over until it fires maybe 8 to 12 times before it will keep running. Usually the first time I turn it over I have to turn it over for maybe 20 to thirty seconds before it fires. After that it fires immediately after I turn it over. Somehwere in there it usually coughs a couple of times. There is an electric choke toggle on the helm control which I use. It may or may not be helping, its hard to tell. Am I expecting too much for his engine to cold start a bit easier?<br /><br />PS. Anyne know the proper idle speed for a 94' yamaha 9.9 4 stroke?

jmacd99

Cadet
Re: 1990 yamaha 150 cold start issue

Maybe I was not clear in my post. When I say turn it over until it fires 8 to 12 times. That's turn it over it fires then stalls, turn it over until it fires then stalls and so on 8 to 12 times.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1990 yamaha 150 cold start issue

Are you priming with the bulb first? Advancing the cold start lever and holding the choke on while the motor is spinning over?