suzuki df70 overheat question

pukeanddie

Recruit
I was trying to warm up my Suzuki df70 after winter storage so I could change the oil. The engine started up beautifully and ran at about 1000 rpms until it reached a certain temp and then dropped down to about 500. I assume this is normal. <br /><br />I let it idle for about 10 mins at 500 rpms until I noticed that the motor was still ejecting cold water and felt cold. In hopes of bringing the engine up to tempature more rapidly I increased the throttle back up just slightly so it was again running at about 1000 rpms. Water was still coming out of the telltale, but about a min or so later the temp alarm went off. I was Running the engine with muffs and the cavitation plate water intake was covered with duct tape. The whole time there was a steady stream of cold water coming from the telltale. To touch though, the engine was indeed very hot and I am confused how this could have happened. How could telltale water still be cold when the engine was so hot and why was it overheating?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: suzuki df70 overheat question

Howdy, P&D.<br /><br />On the DF70 the telltale only indicates water pressure going into the powerhead. . . before the thermostat.<br /><br />If the thermostat sticks or fails, or if you don't have enough pressure (the telltale flows even with inadequate flow from the waterpump) it will overheat with fairly cool water exiting the telltale.<br /><br />Try upping the hose pressure going into the muffs. If that doesn't fix it, check the thermostat. If the impeller is 2 years old or more, replace it.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

pukeanddie

Recruit

ahh, ok. I shut the engine off imediantly when I heard the alarm, but is it possible I damaged the impeller in the process due to lack of pressure?

JB

I don't think so. As long as there is any water flowing the impeller will be lubed.<br /><br />The DF70 does NEED a new impeller each 2 years though.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

pdspeh

Seaman Apprentice

Why does the DF70 need a new impeller every to years?<br />mine is going on 3yrs now ? should I worry???

JB

Yes, Pdspeh.<br /><br />The time to change an impeller is before it fails. Do it now.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Meggacatz

Cadet

Running in the shallow water here in FL and with the possibility of taking in sand & shell pieces, it was suggested that I have a water pressure gauge installed. It reads the pressure off the water jacket and will warn of low water pressure. If the impeller gets scored or worn, the pressure will drop. I was told the pee stream only requires 1 psi to function but by the time it quits, the motor will be way too hot. It was under $100 installed. I have avoided at least one problem because of the gauge. A cheap piece of insurance in my opinion.

Cliffisher

Recruit

Sounds familiar. Check the cooling system loop top-to-bottom, replace the impeller ASAP. I had a small wad of plastic fiber the size of a your avg. belly button lint(sorry if you have a nub - ask around :eek: )and it caused the temp alarm to fire up and drop the RPMs to safe mode. Just one more thing to think about..a small blockage in the cooling system...now where could that be.....