Yamaha Tach wiring

Justin H

Cadet
I have a 1996 Yamaha 75 HP (C75)i recently purchased and wired. My problem is the tach does not work. I have a black wire and a green wire coming off the tach which i plugged into a blackwire and a red wire with a green stripe in the wiring harness to the engine. I looked in the manual for the wiring diagram but can't find the tach wiring. Any suggestions?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Justin<br />JJHustead@AOL.COM

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha Tach wiring

hello<br /> wow I have not seen a two wire tach in ages. the wire color your hunting for is green<br /> black to black green to green the wires come off the sidemount box or the ign switch if binnicale. red/green is normally part of the oil warning system if used.<br /> good luck and keep posting

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

You need to switch the stator wire on the cd box(switch from top to bottom box.). If you switch the wire and the problem follows the problem is the stator. If the problem stays it's the cd box. Two wire for stator input, two wire in trigger(cylinders) and two output wire to coils and one wire to kill cd box. You can diag. this problem with some wire swapping.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Green wire and black wire from control box. Black to ground on Tach. Green wire to "Send" terminal on Tach. If you can't get to the green wire in the control box, run a wire back to the terminal strip in the engine compartment and connect it to either green wire. Then use any system ground to complete it. Set Tach on "6" pole..

Justin H

Cadet

Thanks Rick worked like a charm without going to the terminal strip!<br /><br />Capt Justin

Bruenech

Recruit

I can't find out how to make a new topic on this forum, kinda annoying imo.

Anyways.. I got a 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke (year 2000) and I thought here the other day to wire up my tach, but I could'nt figure out because I could'nt find a free yellow wire to the tach, could only find 2 green (which I've allready used for a lantern).
So my question is, how do I wire up a tach meter without using the yellow one? Which other cable can I use? It's a yamaha analog tach. I don't need the light wired up, I only need the tach working.

Black -> Black (Obviously ground)
Green -> Green (This is the one I've used for lantern)
Yellow -> Yellow (This is the one I can't find)

Black -> Black
Blue -> Blue (Both these are obviously for light)

And Btw, I found one yellow wire, with a red stripe on it, but that was going to the oil lamp on the front of the engine.

Thanks for every answer, and sorry for not finding the "new topic" thingi..

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yellow is key on 12V power,gotta have it, black is ground, blue is for tach light and can be tied to the yellow.dark green is tach send but you need the rectifier kit if not already installed.

Bruenech

Recruit

yellow is key on 12V power,gotta have it, black is ground, blue is for tach light and can be tied to the yellow.dark green is tach send but you need the rectifier kit if not already installed.
It's only one yellow wire that I found, and that got a thin red line on it, and is used for the oil lamp infront of the engine. I can't figure out where the other is, if it is one. "Help"..

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if this is a manual start motor with no battery your going to have to add a battery and the rectifier kit.

Bruenech

Recruit

if this is a manual start motor with no battery your going to have to add a battery and the rectifier kit.
There is a rectifier but according to yamaha Norway battery is not needed. True or false?
(It is a manual start motor w/o battery, with rectifier kit) Had to make it clear.:)