1996 Suzuki DT150 Temp alarm

walden75

Cadet
I recently bought a 1996 DT150, I had it installed by a dealer, the motor has a new cylinder so it was recomended to do a break in period. I ran the motor @ 2000RPM for about 15min and the high temp alarm began going off. I turned the motor off and checked the heads, they were hot, but could still touch and hold hand on them. the water coming out of the tale-tale stream was normal, and when i ran it at higher RPMs i got no alarms, or any alarms at idle. Any suggestions? Also the motor idles at 1000 RPM and shifts roughly into gear, im afraid of it damaging the lowere unit, the dealer checked it out and called it normal, but also noted that it may have not been coming out of high idle mode, but once checked, they still said it was OK. Thanks for any help.

M.Magis

Cadet
Re: 1996 Suzuki DT150 Temp alarm

Just a thought, but could the water flow sensor be sticking? I just had to change mine, so that's why it comes to mind.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> find a real dealer<br /> that motor should idle all day long at 700 rpm. it should Not have any overtemps. I would ask to see the parts list to see if ya got a rebuild or a patcemup. 1000 RPM shifts will trash the gearcase. the fast idle mode ,depending on the exact version of your engine should not last much longer than 15 to 20 seconds.<br /> if that long<br />anyway sounds like you may have a pig in a poke.<br /> if the dealer cannot make it idle correctly and all thge alarms work as designed ask for your money back.<br /> good luck and keep posting

walden75

Cadet

Hello again, I took the motor back out today, it acted up with alarms, so i cut it off to reset it, then re-cranked imediatly, and got no alarm, ran at various RPMs for 30 min+, still no alarms, stopped it for 1.5 hrs and fished (no bites) 10min into the restart got alarms, restated, and no more alarms. Im guessing there is some sort of electrical problem? (which would explain the high idle) Talked to the dealer (who is a Suzuki Retailer) and he said those motors have a habit of showing alarms at low RPMs with a heavy load, (mid-plane) Im at a loss. Probably have to have it re-checked, (he also siad 900-1000RPMs was just right for idle) What and where is the water flow censor located on the motor? Thanks for all of your help.<br />Brad W.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> well you recieved some good advice here, trust your dealer.<br /> but I am suspecting your getting ready to find how expensive suzuki gearcases and powerheads are,<br /> good luck and keep posting

walden75

Cadet

FYI, just thought id let ya know, I took the motor back out today, took a Raytec Lazer Temp Sensor, and found the port side heating at at about 202 degrees when the alarm went off. I took out the thermostat and then re-ran, and both areas at the sensors were at 160 and holding. so Im assuming thats my problem, Im gonna pick up a thermo this week, Do you have any info on proper running temps, and high temps? Thanks again

Steamboat

Seaman

The suggestion to check the thermostats was a good one. I had the same trouble recently on my low hour 1997 DT150 and removed the T-stats for checking. Put them in water, heated and monitored with digital thermometer. According to the Clymer manual for this engine, they should open at 104 - 111 deg F. Mine opened at 124 deg F and when cooled and reheated, they opened about 128 - 130 deg F and one did not open up as much as the other. Easy to replace, just can't find a local dealer with them so had to order. Also went ahead and replaced the impeller to eliminate any concern about that causing some of the temp issue.

Steamboat

Seaman

Walden75, did you ever get the new thermostats and did this fix your alarm problem. I got new T-stats (old ones stated 50 deg C on bottom of T-stat new ones stated 50 deg C in same location despite all manuals including Suzuki saying they use 40 deg C units) and it didn't solve my problem (same as yours) so I installed new temp sensors. Haven't had a chance to take the boat out to see if this resolved the issue or not. Please let me know if you found a cure.

tprice

Seaman Apprentice

I am having the same sort of problem with a 99 225. My alarms only go off when I am trying to pull umbrella rigs at an idle speed, no other time. Somtimes it will alarm after 15 minuts and others it will take 2 hours. I replaced the impeller, always had go pee hole flow, but still having the same problem. I never have the overheat problem at any other time(cruising or wide open or even a slow cruise but only at idle). <br />I finally talked to a Suzuki Dealer yesterday and he seems to think it is the Tstats and is going to replace them this week and thinks this will solve my problem.<br /><br />Has anyone ever added a Temp gauge to a Suzuki, I hate this "idiot" light. All other boats I have ever had had temp gauge so you could tell how the temp was and could see it before it overheated.

james roach

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did the t stats fix the problem? My dad has a 1998 DT 200 with the exact same symptoms as yours. We are looking for the fix. Thanks

fridays

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The fix for the problem is (most often) to run without the cowling on the motor...just joking. Inside the cowling the air intake shroud presses down on the starbord temp. sensor located on top of the cylinder bank. There is just enough pressure to cut through the insulation and short the wire on the little bracket that holds the sensor in place. Move the wire, tape it, cut away a little of the shroud...problem solved. Fixing is cheap and easy...knowing what to fix is hard.

tprice

Seaman Apprentice

It seems that the Tstats fixed the problem. The dealer also showed me how to clean out the pressure relief valve as well and that may have been the problem all along.<br /><br />The pressure relief valve is on the starboard side of the motor down at the bottom rear. There are 3 screws that hold it in and are not the easist thing to get to but when we removed it there was some crud in there. I suspect this came from when I was in saltwater and we got too shallow and stirred up a lot of sand, in fact it had never run hot until that time.<br />It is like a small valve and spring and we took it out and cleaned it and shot it some WD40 and put it back in, it was pretty cruddy, and he said that this is the culprit a lot of the times but we changed the Tstats as well.<br /><br />I have since trolled for 3 hours at a time pulling umbrella rigs and lead core line for stripers and it has not alarmed since.<br /><br />Let me know if you need anymore help/answers to what we/he did.

99FisherDT150

Recruit
Re: 96 Suzuki DT150S Alarm
Restored a 99 Fisher FX bass boat with DT150S. Drain gear oil in lower unit, and filled with new gear oil, and filled 2 stroke reservoir (Electronic oil injected) with new oil. The motor as old as it is started up with the turn of the key every time and idle with no alarms. Took it out on the water and alarm would sound off after 5 -10 minutes and motor dropped into limp mode with alarm. I thought it might be overheating because it was peeing inconsistently. Took thermostats out and tested bad, so I replaced thermostats and tempt sensors only, but at this time did not replaced impeller in lower unit. However, I never got to test drive to see if replacing the thermostats & temp sensors was the fix; had knee surgery last June, so that delayed all testing. Just as this week ( March 20, 2023) I replaced impeller and treated the gas tank and motor had hard time starting. I used starting fluid directly in carb with choke open. Got it to pop a few times, but wouldn't stay running. I thought maybe the fuel pump needed to be prime. So I disconnected fuel inlet hose from main fuel tank and put fuel hose into gallon tank of fresh gasoline. Motor fired up and ran a little rough at first and then it seemed to idle down; I then reconnected to main tank and motor stayed running. Water pump was pumping and motor was peeing okay. Then after allowing motor to idle for a while, the alarm went off and peeing water was very hot. What could be the problem?
1.) Thermostats are stuck shut after setting up so long?
2.) Temp sensor are bad or not working right?
3.) Oil injector is not working properly?
4.) Could it be another sensor?