115 YAMAHA 2 STROKE (HARD STARTING)

earl**

Recruit
I have a 2001 115 YAMAHA 2 stroke that is hard to start. I have a electronic start/prime system.I have to advance the throtte almost to full throttle to start the engine. It normally takes four to five atempts in order to turn the engine over(RUNS AND STARTS GREAT AFTER GETTING STARTED). I am afraid of damaging the engine by<br />keeping this up. I have tryed new plugs numerous differnt starting procedures no luck. Any solutions?<br /> THANKS IN ADVANCE

zackcary

Cadet
Re: 115 YAMAHA 2 STROKE (HARD STARTING)

What have you found out about your problem? I have the same year and HP with same problem. Would like to know if you figured it out?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> are you sure the choke plates are closing as you crank the engine? the 2001 115 2 stroke was a choke type motor with no auto enrichment. if you dont choke it it wont start, type us your exact starting procedure.<br /> good luck and keep posting

SliderM72

Seaman

I had that problem with my 1988 115 Yammie. Does yours have an anti-siphon valve between the fuel tank connection and the main gas line. Mine didn't , and putting one in made all the difference. If you do have one, start checking for leaks... start at the tank and work back to the motor. Good luck.

zackcary

Cadet

I do choke mine and usually it dies right away. I then try to start it without choking and it still dies. I check the primer every time to make sure it's stiff.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

how far up do you place the throttle? I would really like to see that motor start and run between 1500 and 2000 RPM for the first 10 to 20 seconds. if a two stroke can run its getting lubrication. like I asked. please describe in the most minute detail your exact starting procedure.<br /> good luck and keep posting

zackcary

Cadet

First, I check the primer. Then I try to start with choke. I hold the choke till it starts to sputter the release at which point it dies on me. I then try to restart without choke. Usually this doesn't work so I adjust throttle about half way. This also doesn't work so I choke again. Once it starts I hold the choke until it sputters and then release. It usually stays running here so I slowly back off of the choke until it runs at idle. I have mixed up these methods with no results. I always end up getting it going when I give it half thottle and choke it. I'm just not sure if this is good for my motor. I also end up running down my battery when doing this and usually just have enough to keep it going. Also if you could let me know what the cranking amps for this motor are. Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

try advancing the throttle before any attempt is made to start it. I see to many people try to start that type of outboard at a dead idle and most dont like it. the minimum yamaha reccomends is 380 CCA. I will advise you to go no lower than 800 CCA. 1000 is even better.<br /> real world baby not some shirt and tie engineer that never has to fix his mistakes.<br />good luck and keep posting

zackcary

Cadet

Thanks. Just wasn't sure about using throttle during start-up. The CCA answer was also appreciated. I've gone through too many cheap batteries. I just needed to make sure what size battery I will get. I think I'll get an Optima or Excide.

zackcary

Cadet

Can you recommend a good battery switch? All I need is a on/off switch.

tjfreemanjr

Cadet

I bought a NICE one at west marine for my boat and it has made a difference to me. I really needed the ability to shut it all off at once.<br /><br />Also, I read somwhere to try starting your motor like this:<br />1. hand pump fuel bulb until tight<br />2. advance throttle somewhere around 25% (maybe more, maybe less)<br />3. hold in choke for about 5-8 seconds BEFORE attempting to start.(mine has choke on key where you just push it in to choke. you might fine this time is too long for your motor)<br />4. Now turn key and see if it responds any better.<br /><br />I was having terrible problems getting my brand new 02 Yammie 115 to start and did some reading until I found that (might have been on this forum) and things have been a ton better since I started doing it that way. After I get her started on the trailer, it almost always fires on the first try. <br /><br />Hope some of this helps!