replacing the impeller on Suzuki DF70

manitoba1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a 2000 DF70 and have never replaced the impeller and figured it was time. I'm about to get my boat ready for the water again after a long winter. One shop quoted me 1.8 hours for the job which seemed a bit high. I was thinking with a bit of assistance I might try the job myself. I don't have a factory repair manual for this outboard but my understanding is this engine has the same bottom end as the old 100hp two stroke. I have an Clymers for Suzuki two strokes describing the removal and replacement of the impeller. Is it difficult for this engine and are there any tricks and things to look out for when doing this job? Any special tools or sealants required?

mrn714

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: replacing the impeller on Suzuki DF70

In nutral. Remove all bolts on lower end, including the hidden one above the prop. Support the lower until you are ready to pull. Pull the rubber plug on the side of the motor casing, about 8 inches from the throttle / fuel / wire entry, right side looking toward the bow. Remove both nuts just inside. push the shift rod until it clears the shift shaft. The lower unit will come out. Get a new impeller, directions to replace will be in the package as well with diargrams. Use vasoline on the new impeller after you clean out all water ports of debris. Do not hold the unit with the shift shaft, it will come out and increase your time by 14 hours or more trying to put it back in, then you will sink both the boat and the motor in deep water and report it stolen. Make sure to set the impeller so it is running the same direction as the old one. Also, use air to clean out pee tube and other ports. Goo time to replace all lower unit oil as well. Be sure to drain it out by removing both plugs. <br /><br />GET A MANUAL AS WELL. YOU WILL NEED IT FOR OTHER PROBLEMS YOU WILL RUN ACROSS DOING THIS REPAIR.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hahahaha<br /> I like that one<br /> I actually did it once years ago.<br /> if the DF is like the older DT's the shift shaft will slide out but not back in. I learned of this the hard expensive way as a pup.<br /> good luck and buy the manual.

manitoba1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thom:<br />Thanks for the advice on the impeller especially on that shift lever. I'll see about getting a manual. I also found some vidio clips on the sukukimarine.com website showing the replacement. Should help alot.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

No - no - no.....The DF70 is different! You have a pin/cotter pin arrangement for the shift shaft. It is just above the lower unit, just in front of the lower motor mount. It is not a rotary shift, nor does it have the link up at the powerhead like the older 2-stroke's.

manitoba1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Took a look at one of the instructional video's off the Suzuki marine website and it's looks as you describe Lakensea. The video is pretty decent and is a great service that Suzuki is providing. I think it shouldn't be so difficult. I thought about purchasing a manual but not sure whether to get a Clymers or factory manual. Not as likely to tackle any major repair so I'm thinking a less expensive Clymers may me adequate for me.