Suzuki DF70 Charging Prob

nautico18

Recruit
Yesterday, while fishing Chokoloskee, my 2001 DF70 stopped charging - 125 hours. It may not have been charging when I left the ramp. Dunno, but it cranked just fine. Anyway, after a few hours fishing and running live well the engine barely cranked. New battery, BTW. I put a voltmeter on the battery while running and it showed 11.4 volts. Of course, I turned off the live well and made sure there wasn't any other apparent battery drain.<br /><br />Next fishing hole, the engine wouldn't crank at all. Got it going with hand start. Didn't want to ruin a good day of fishing! It's not easy hand starting and I wouldn't recommend it as a backup.<br /><br />About the third fishing hole, had a real hard time getting the engine going again and if I went to idle for more than a second, it would die. Voltage was below 11. Time to head to the ramp!<br /><br />The 30 amp fuse on the starboard side of engine is fine. The "check engine" light and alarm didn't come on till it was too late.<br /><br />Regulator? Alternator? Where should I look for the obvious (inexpensive) before taking it to the shop? <br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />-fred

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Suzuki DF70 Charging Prob

First of I would check the voltage with the motor running and then with it off. My first suspect would be battery drain before charging system failure. If you are running accesories off your starting battery a little drawdown could cause this problem. Not to call this engine a hardstarter but I have found mine takes near 11.5 volts to turn it over. Running any accesories could easily put your battery in this condition. Your solution could be as simple as a second battery to run ALL acessories. Ps we have the same motor just diffrent year and badging.

nautico18

Recruit

Thanks for that, but...<br /><br />After a couple of hours on a 10 amp charge this morning, then engine cranked right up with 12.5 volts showing at crank, at idle and at 2000 rpm fast idle. BTW, as soon as I noticed the battery drain yesterday, I disconnected the console lead from the battery, just to make sure there wasn't any accessory drain on the battery.<br /><br />-fred

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Next in line would be the stator resistance test followed by Rectofier/regulator. Do you have a manuel for your motor.

nautico18

Recruit

Unfortunately, I don't have the shop manual. Might be a good idea at this point, huh?<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />-fred

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Just some additional thoughts, I would guess it to be the rectifier/regulator but this is a bit harder to test than the stator. If your stator tested ok by process of elimination it should would be rectifier at that point. Perhaps the shop is the way to go though as you may still be under warranty. weather or not you are warrintied though a manuel is a goood investment. <br /><br />Welcome to the boards this is a great site. :)

nautico18

Recruit

Thanks.<br /><br />Not sure if it is under warranty. Gotto check that out.<br /><br />Yes, I will buy the shop manual. Yes, this is a great resource.<br /><br />-fred

clanton

Rear Admiral

Are you the orignal owner? Should be warranty. Check battery cables ends. Battery should be fully charged, then check charging systen, 12.5 volts not good enough.