Rodbolt , What is the deal with my yamaha head gasket

bonitoman

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 92 130 has 10 hours on it. I noticed the head leaking water. Still great compression. I removed the aftermarket gaskets and spent quite a bit more for yamaha stock gaskets. The new gaskets were impregnated with that shiny stuff. Usually I put the omc brown gue sealer on gaskets.I did not put anything on these yamaha gaskets. These yamaha gaskets still leak. They were torqued to 22 foot lbs. Am I suppose to put anything on these gaskets or the head itself for yamaha. The heads are straight and have been machined. I am in need of some help. Thanks Rodbolt

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rodbolt , What is the deal with my yamaha head gasket

helo<br /> I usually use OMC gasket sealer or perfect seal.<br /> if your heads are flat and no visible machine marks then look carefully at the block surfaces. if the aluminium around the cyl liner is gone it will never seal. I have also seen some engines actually corrode a hole into the crankcase area at the v. if you suspect a leak the use shop air at 90 psi and apply air and listen for anyleakage into the cooling system. to do that you will need to make a metal tool to hold the flywheel. I made one that fits in place of the lifting strap. do not try to hold it with a breaker bar. when it spins it will come around and whack your head :) :) . I usually submerge the gearcase and use duct tape to seal the exhaust ports. if it does not blow bubbles it may not be a cyl head gasket leak. . have you taken a fine flat file and checked to see if the block deck is true? have you carefully inspected the exhaust divider plate for pinhoiles?<br /> when you did the overhaul did you remove the divider plate or shotcut the procedure ? water can enter the cyl from the intake side, the ex ports as well as a leaking head gasket.<br /> good luck and keep posting

bonitoman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Rodbolt , What is the deal with my yamaha head gasket

I am going to pull the heads again and coat the head gasket and water jacket with omc gasket sealer just like I have done on omc engines. I will retorque to 22 foot lbs and test today thanks. I did not put anything on the gaskets yesterday.