1985 Suzuki 30 hp lower unit

wellis

Recruit
Please help. I am trying to repair a 1985 30 hp. Suzuki outboard which is sticking in reverse gear. The prop took a hit on a stump in reverse. Neutral to forward is fine. Lower unit gears look fine, but I have not removed the gear that sits just in front of shifter linkage at the base of the foot. I need procedures for removing components, and what to look for in the way of damaged (or bent) parts that would cause the trouble.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 Suzuki 30 hp lower unit

Hello post which service manual you have and I will look in mine. that way I can assist. all the shift shafts in those units I thought were forward of the gear, I am betting its the propshaft/clutch splines.<br /> good luck and keep posting

wellis

Recruit

Thanks for posting a reply. I do not have a service manual. Last night I removed the clutch dog pin and found it to be slightly bent. I straightened it and put it back in. Some improvement, but I still have two prop/spline positions where I can't shift into reverse. The cam at the end of the shifter rod seems to be fine. Besides, it seems to be the rotated position of the spline/gears that makes shifting to reverse possible. Please tell me more about about clutch splines, or tell me what you think, since I've corrected the pin. Thx

wellis

Recruit

BTW, You're right, the shift rod is forward of the gear, and it turns the shift cam. WE

wellis

Recruit

Hot Dog !! I got it fixed. All splines were OK so I started looking at the position of the shifter CAM in the forward end of the foot. I noticed that it was about 1/8 in. too far forward, then adjusted its linkage on thr front of the lower unit, and BOOM, I'm back in business!! Thanks for the help. This is a great service. I'll be posting again, I'm sure.

spland

Recruit

Glad to see you got your lower unit fixed. Was wondering how your like this motor overall. I'm looking at replacing a Merc and came across a 1985 30hp. Suzuki. Don't know any thing about them so I thought I should ask . Thanks