yamaha 98 B115 primer bulb/no fuel

eaglebob

Cadet
I recently emptied the fuel/water separator ,found some water in there, now the problem is I've been squeezing the primer bulb about 100 times and can't get gas up to the carbs or even to the separator. Should I get a new bulb or does it take forever to get gas from the tank after emptying the water out?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: yamaha 98 B115 primer bulb/no fuel

hello<br /> the fuel primer bulb has some one way check valves. if dry and sometimes if the bulb is an aftermarket one you will have to hold the primer so the arrow is straight up.<br />good luck and keep posting

Capt. Stabbin

Seaman Apprentice

I had a similar problem with my 1988 115 Yamaha, the ball would never pump all the way up, and I too had water in my fuel seperator. Turns out I had 2 holes in my gas tank. Check the tank and then the fuel line for holes or loose connections. I would bet that it is the tank though, how else would the water get in? Good luck.

eaglebob

Cadet

ok , I cleaned and refilled the separator ,still no gas getting through . Connections are tight. When I bypass it , I pump the bulb a couple of times and gas comes right up into the engine and the bulb gets hard. Time for a new separator?, this ones a couple of months old.<br />thanks for any replies

tgodiver

Seaman

Here the right way to fix this, unhook the fuel from the engine and submerge the end into a container of gas. Then pump the bulb about 20 times, what was happening before was the every time you pump and release you were sucking in air from the end of fuel line that's in from the engine.

Ben Wilkins

Recruit

Bob, to prime the fuel system you first need an empty fuel system. What you have created is knowen as an air lock. This is between the fuel tank and the motor. While the carby's or EFI system is full of fuel it won't let any air/fuel move down the line. The easy way of fixing this i find on the job is to start the motor and let it idel and the fuel pump/s will 9 times out of 10 will re-prime the system. However if they don't and the engine runs out of fuel and stops, simply prime the Bulb and fuel should now flow untill the system is full once again :cool: . Problem solved.

Arnold96

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I keep a 1 gal. gas can handy for when this happens to me. Even a brand new bulb I had would not pull enough to fill up an empty separator. You have to refill the separator with fuel or hope the engine fuel pumps will do the trick, and usually they won't. For this reason I have ordered an electric booster pump to put in line before the separator. :cool:

eaglebob

Cadet

thanks for the replies ,will try everything Friday and post back

eaglebob

Cadet

unhook the fuel from the engine and submerge the end into a container of gas. Then pump the bulb about 20 times, what was happening before was the every time you pump and release you were sucking in air from the end of fuel line that's in from the engine.
tgodiver , that worked right away , thanks