Yamaha Multi-Function Fuel Gauge Troubleshooting

Mantee1

Recruit
I have a 1998 Yamaha 150 with the Multi-Function Gauges. The Fuel Gauge portion quit working. Normally I would short the two wires at the sending unit on an analog gauge to make it read full. Is this the correct way to troubleshoot this? I'm afraid to try it since it's digital. Does anyone know which wires leave the gauge to go to the sending unit? Mine have faded at the sending unit.<br /><br />Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha Multi-Function Fuel Gauge Troubleshooting

hello<br /> yep you can test it that way. if still no full then try shorting the white wire from the gauge to ground. hull wiring the pink wire should be the sender positive.<br /> good luck and keep posting<br />PS takes about 15 to 20 sec to add or remove each level bar. this aids in scaling during rough seas

Mantee1

Recruit
Re: Yamaha Multi-Function Fuel Gauge Troubleshooting

Thanks Rodbolt,<br /><br />I shorted the two wires and the Mult-function gauge read "full". Appears to be a faulty sending unit. It's a 1986 Grady White Tournament 190 (Dual console) and it has an aluminun tank. I may want to replace the whole tank rather than just the sending unit. I've read that the older aluminum tanks can be a problem (broken welds and corrosion). Thanks for your help.<br /><br />FloridaDave