Yamaha 150 Lower Unit Seal Question.

dcloud

Recruit
I errored when changing the lower unit lube on my Yamaha SWS 150 motor. <br /><br />After filling the lower unit with lube to the fill level, I tightened the top screw and thought I should pump more lube to replace all the air.<br /><br />Too much pressure. The lube began to run out of the small hole next to the water in-take. Did I blow the seal? What next, take it to a mechanic before serious damage?<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any appreciated advise/experience.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Yamaha 150 Lower Unit Seal Question.

Most Yamaha double gearcase seal lips face outwards, unlike other makes which have each seal back to back. This allows Yamahas to "bleed off" any excessive pressure in the gearcase. I think this is what happened to you and the excess pressure passed thru the driveshaft seal lips and dripped into the water inlet area of the gearcase.

dcloud

Recruit

Seahorse,<br /><br />Thank you for taking time to educate me that "Yamaha double gearcase seal lips face outwards and allows Yamahas to "bleed off" any excessive pressure in the gearcase."<br /><br />I am certain per your explaination that this is what happened.<br /><br />Thanks again Sir!

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Check your gear oil after you use the boat to make sure there is no other problem with the sealing. Just to be on the safe side.