1990 Yamaha 200 ETXD Idle Problem

ICU

Recruit
Recently purchased (unused for 3 years), had the carbs rebuilt at time of purchase, and new spark plugs installed, new water separator. Had 25 gallons of crappy fuel. Ran through most of it and put in premium (I know now that probably wasn't the best idea after reading some octane posts.) <br /><br />After 10 full day fishing trips (1-2 hours running) Engine has progressively been idling rougher, however on my last trip engine would often stall at idle. <br /><br />On the last trip, more often than not, when I made an attempt at throtling down... it stalled almost as if starving for fuel, however if I did get it going, it ran fine. <br /><br />Also... Last trip... The only way I could keep it going at an idle wasy by hitting the choke button every 5 seconds (otherwise it would stall).<br /><br />Any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :confused:

BRIAN03

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1990 Yamaha 200 ETXD Idle Problem

Check the low pressure fuel pumps. There are three of them. If they are ok You need to pull the carbs and clean them well and blow them out with air. If the primer bulb will not get hard you have a bad diaphram in the low pressure fuel pump.

ICU

Recruit

Thanks..... I'm glad you mentioned the bulb because that is one detail I didn't mention. The bulb does get firm sporatically, but sometimes (while running) it softens. I will check the diaphrams tommorow and post back afterwards. Thank you again.

Arnold96

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a similar problem on my 1995. For sure I think I need to replace the diaphrams. However, has anyone ever installed a low pressure pump near the tank to make sure there is always fuel to the pumps on the engine?