yamaha flush

Cadet
Have a yamaha 115 four stroke 2002. Since new I have observed that the engine **** hole does not pass water when flushing with hose. Asked 6 dealers and got 6 different answers.Any info on this?

dick

Chief Petty Officer
Re: yamaha flush

OK I'll take a stab at it. If you hook up the hose to the fitting on the starboard side of the cowl you are backflushing the engine. When the engine is picking up it's own water it flows through that hose and fitting that you screwed back onto the cowl and out the tell tail.If you have the engine in the water and running unscrew that hose and water will come out and not come out your tell tail.

Cadet

Like your thinking Richard.But,the dealer said that the weep hole will flow sometimes depending on where the engine stopped. This engine never stops on that mysterious open port. This leaves me to wonder what magic is this?

Laveread

Cadet

This may answer your question. When I first got my Yamaha I noticed the same thing. I figured it was normal. I have since moved and now when I flush the motor it does ****. The difference...I have much higher water pressure in my new home. That is all I can think of.

Breamo

Cadet

Hi,<br /><br />I have a 2003 F50 4 stroke and finally I have resolved the frustrating issue of flushing the motor with ear muffs.<br /><br />Firstly, increase water pressure will help. So I modify the standard ear muff. The standard ear muff has only one side feeding water. So I bought a second pair and put together a new ear muffs that have water feeding on both sides. A 3 way coupling would help.<br /><br />Secondly, make sure that the ear muffs not just cover the black square water intake but also the little hole off the top left hand corner of the water intake. If you don't, water will come out of that little hole - reduced pressure.<br /><br />my 2 cents worth and let's know how you go.<br /><br />Cheers, Breamo

Cadet

Should have mentioned,I live on salt water.Use boat lift for storage so it is hard to reach bottom of motor to flush with ear muffs.Flush with "Flushing device" factory located on the cowling.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> some of the 115 4 strokes wont "pee" unless you have a terrifec hose pressue. in my opinion its a waste of time. with no t-stat opening the pressuer relief valve will just dump the water anyway. and some engines had a short hose routing and wont "pee" anyway. I think most of those were 2001. I know this is not what you wish to hear but I dont design them I just fix them and so far none of the engine makers have a satasfactory engine off flushing system. <br /> good luck and keep trying

waterbill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Since you are on the subject, there is a screw on my Yamaha 90's lower unit midway between the gearcase and powerhead with the word "FLUSH" engraved by it. What kind of adapter goes into that hole when you take out the screw, and how is it used? Is it okay to not use that flush port and just use ear muffs? Thank you.

tezam

Cadet

Brian: I have a Yammy 115TLRY, year 2000. For engine-off flushing of the salt water each time I'm out, I use the cowling water hose connection to my regular house water hose. After unscrewing the cowling fitting (it's finger tight), I screw on my water hose and turn on the faucet half-way. Water is discharged out the pee-hole fine...every time.

tgodiver

Seaman

I have 99' 225-HP SWS which also has the hose that screws on the cowl. I don't use that hose anymore, since the dealer said it does is not intended for running the engine with it hooked up, so I use the ear muffs instead. the hose is to be used when the engine is turned off.