Home made flush kit on twin 200hp Yamaha saltwater series

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer
I ran a boat this weekend that had what looked like a homemade flush setup.<br />The flush hoses were connected to a T with and the end had a PVC valve with a hose connection on it. The owner showed me how he could flush both motors at once at the end of the day by connecting the hose to the system and opening the valve.<br /><br />My question is what about flow from port to starboard? When he cranked the first engine up cooling water was shooting out of both “Pissers”. When I mentioned this to him he said that was a benefit of the set-up if he lost a water pump the other could keep the engine cool to get him home. <br /><br />I don’t want to be an ungracious guest and say something I am not sure of, have any of you used a set up like this? Should I keep my yapper shut and go fishing?<br /><br />Mac

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Home made flush kit on twin 200hp Yamaha saltwater series

Hello<br /> I dont run the engines at all on the built in flusher. even the owners manual does not tell you to run it it just says flush it, some manuals say do not run it. all our tech reps say flush only no running.that didnk little hose will not flow enough water to cool both the water pump and keep the block full and cold. good luck and keep posting:)

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the reply. <br />What I am really looking for is under normal running conditions could this flush set-up be a potential problem?

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

First off, why would he run the engine while flushing? If you were gonna do that then why not just use muffs on it, that defeats the point of the flushing system. Secondly if he runs the motor out of water using the flusher to cool it, he is gonna damage his water pump impeller because it is spinning with no lubrication. Also I would not trust the hose pressure to properly flush both motors, how long does it really take to do one at a time. And lastly he is mistaken about about one water pump being able to cool both motors. If he tried to do that he would burn one motor real quick, and how is he gonna tell whether or not one pump is working or not if the tell-tales are hooked together. One of the benefits of having two motors is if you have a problem with one you can shut it down so you don't damage it and use the other one to get home. This guy is gonna cause himself problems in the longrun. Good Luck.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep. what he said :) :)

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the input. He is not running the engines while flushing them. I will run the comment of “How do you know if the pumps are working with this set-up?” by him and see if I can talk him out of having that contraption attached to his engines. <br /><br />Mac