Need Help Trouble Shooting, Suzuki 200hp 1988

DjPro

Seaman
Engine info: 1988 DT200 "V" Suzuki Exante (voice alarm modual"<br /><br />Condition:<br />Engine starts and idles fine<br />When Opening the throttle, the RPM stop at 1400<br />Above 1400 the engine acts as if it is starving for fuel or flooding with the timing not advancing.<br /><br />Pump fuel bulb while this is happening and at idle and no effect. Did this to check for fuel pump diaphram problems.<br /><br />Activated the choke during the condition and no change or the engine runs rougher and dies<br /><br />No alarms<br />No Buzzers<br />No lights on the monitor lite (i.e. check engine lite)<br /><br />Ran the engine on aux. fuel tank and same condition exists<br /><br />Ckeck compression 130-135 all cylinders<br />Check spark, good<br /><br />Found that the engine will start in gear<br />And that the emergency stop switch laynard being off has no effect.<br /><br />Any and all advise is welcomed. I have no Suzuki trained service mech. near me.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />DJ

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need Help Trouble Shooting, Suzuki 200hp 1988

Pull the cover on the engine and verify that the throttle linkage is working correctly when you give it full throttle at the wheel. Verify that the ignition is advancing to the full advance position and that all of the carb butterflies are completely open (parallel to airflow).<br /><br />If you have compression and spark at the right time, with proper fuel air ratio it has to go. If it has spark check the timing. If the timing and spark are OK you have either too much fuel or not enough. You've tried the choke test which seems to indicate its not a lack of fuel. Is there any evidence of flooding such as smell of raw gas or gas slicks on the water? Carb float valve stuck open can flood an engine but usually not all of the carbs and not enough to limit the revs to 1400. A leaking fuel pump can inject fuel into the attached cylinder causing the engine to drop a cylinder and limit rpm. <br /><br />For now check the throttle linkage. Also make sure the oil tank is full and the oil flow sensor isn't cutting in the rev limiter due to low oil flow from a blocked oil screen or crimped oil tube.

DjPro

Seaman

Oh and no there is no fuel smell or slick

DjPro

Seaman

How do I check to see if the ignition is advancing. I think that this is the problem. I believe that the timing will not advance beyond 5 deg. But do not know how to check it. Or what would cause this. If the throttle sensor or something went bad....the check engine light would be on and the rev limit. Very frustrating....<br /><br />Do you thing that the faulty neutral switch or the emergency lanyard could cause this?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Hello<br /> do you have a suzuki service manual? do you have a way to test spark, compression and ign timing? the throttle valve sensor can fail and not trigger any alarms. total failure would result in a setting of 5 degrees BTDC timing.<br />does the engine still go through its fast idle warm up?<br /> post more info and I will do what I can.<br /> good luck

sorrydog

Seaman

does the tach start to bounce around when it's missing?

DjPro

Seaman

yes to the fast idle and yes to the tack jumping. What direction are you headed in?

DjPro

Seaman

I have the two service manuals, I have checked compression and it is 130-135, and I have checked spark. I do not have a timing light though I can get one to borrow.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Hello and good morning Djpro<br /> I need a little more information on this problem.when was the last time it ran as designed? when did the problem occur? just looking throuh the electrical service manual there is nothing of note. you will need a timing light and a multi-meter and some patience.the part # of the manual is 99514-03930-01E. we need to eliminate mechanical failures and carb failures. if your not sure of your skill with a multi meter start practicing. this system has a lot of things to check. a failure of the throttle valve sensor would give a fixed timing above an idle. a failed flywheel counting coil would give a poor idle. well gotta jet for work. let me know if I can help further.<br /> good luck and keep posting

DjPro

Seaman

RodBolt:<br />I agree with elliminating the mech. and carb failures first. I will do that today. I will also check timing. I am going to order the 3 and 12 wire test cords in order to check the VSS and FCC. Another thing that is throwing me is that the problem only appears under a load. In neutral nothing.<br /><br />As for when this occured:<br />2 weeks ago took her out on a long trip (3 hours) on the way back to port I ran low on oil and the low oil alarm sounded and put me in rev limit but without any warning lights. I stopped at the nearest marina and put oil in. It started and ran for 10 minutes then it started missing. It took me a few minutes and a dozen tries to get it on plane. Finally it ran and I got home. The next day I took her out and couldn't get it on plane or over 1400 RPMs. As I surpass 1400 it starts to die like it is flooding or starving. RPM fluctuates, up and down, then dies.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

You may want to investigate whether your oil level sensor/switch is bad. Perhaps the sensor still thinks there is a low oil level and it still cutting in the rev limiter.

DjPro

Seaman

wouldn't that throw a warning, buzzer, and or monitor gauge light? And I think that the rev limit limits RPM by shutting down one side or bank of the engine. I thought of that and pulled the plugs to see if one side was wet and they were not. But I think I will check the sensor anyways.... I think this is going to drive me over the edge..

DjPro

Seaman

well I received the TSS unit today and the 3 wire test cord so I guess I will test the unit and replace if nessesary tomorrow. I will post the results tomorrow night....

DjPro

Seaman

Well....I think I fixed it.<br /><br />It was mechanical. A fuel line was pinched between the oil tank and the TVS, keeping the sensor from opening up all the way. It bent the spring on the sensor and knocked it out of alignment. I re-calibrated the sensor to 600 ohms. I will be taking it out tomorrow for a test run, but I think I fixed it. As it was it was only getting 450 ohms and not allowing the butterflies to open all the way.<br /><br />I will post tomorrow

johndezman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

glad to hear you found some "hard evidence".<br /><br />i don't have my manual hear at home9its at the boat) but there was something in the electrical that can fail that will keep you from full throttle. if i get a chance this weekend i'll track down the info.<br /><br />as previously mentioned the throttle position switch setting is critical to operation.

DjPro

Seaman

yes please....let me know. I'm taking it out tomorrow to test.<br /><br />Thanks

DjPro

Seaman

Glad to report that all is well....THanks for all the help......Until next time ;)