How can I remove the Prop. Shaft Housing on Suzuki?

kird

Cadet
Hello,<br /><br />is there a stupid trick to remove this (red) Housing on a Suzuki DT 85 ? I tried to beating out with a hook, I used a flame to expand the cover - but nothing works.<br /><br />I get creazy, pls help.<br /><br />PS: yes, I did remove the ring first<br /><br />
trans.jpg
<br /><br />Regards,<br />kird

craw

Cadet
Re: How can I remove the Prop. Shaft Housing on Suzuki?

This looks like the same gear box as on my DT150. I had to use a crank puller to get the housing out. They stick in pretty well for something sitting in oil. They pop out pretty easy when you have the right tools.<br /><br />craw

sirlespat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My gearcase was badly corroded but the guy who took it out had a very simple approach. He looked at the manual and thought that looked "a bit hard" Then he welded up an adaptor that consisted of a nut for the prop shaft to shaft of a slide hammer. Lots of heat around the housing and then basically tapped it out. The propshaft pulls the rear bearing which pulls the housing. Took him about 15 minutes all up with no damage to the parts. Of course the seals all needed replacing ater heat is applied. B ut you bet I was IMPRESSED

mrn714

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You must use a puller. Two threded holes are present at the case end. It attaches to the shaft and uses leverage to pull it out. <br /><br />You did not say, but is this a salt or fresh water unit? If salt, prepair for some work to get it out, back in, and making it work correctly. If fresh, it will be better, but if you have little knowlege of this case, you will find it difficult to put back togather. This is one of thoses "you need to see it to do it" jobs. While the book is fine, some things are just a hands on matter. With the costs of the materials involved, you may wish to consider getting a used lower unit. I happen to have one that is in good shape. If you want the entire lower end, hydrolic trim and some electrical parts, I will sell it for $525.00, shipping included. If you just want the lower end, it would be $380.00. You will not find a better deal, or better parts. <br /><br />I have a working dt85 as well. It is a good working unit, but found it has a tendancy to run hot due to poor water intake. Also eats impellers. Make sure you clean every jet in the carb before you put this back togather. <br /><br /> ;)

kird

Cadet

Hello,<br /><br />thank you for your posts - I got it.<br />It was badly corroded.<br /><br />I built various pullers and one of it works.<br /><br />@thom<br />But there are no holes at the end of case.<br />But all the same, I dont need parts - with exeption of 0.5 os piston rings.<br /><br />You offer the parts inclusive shipping? I dont think so - I come from Germany..... :D <br /><br />thx<br />kird