Yamaha 150 engine block serial numbers

KNOTTY THOTS

Seaman Apprentice
Does any body know if you can match the engine serial number to the engine block number. My shop said it replaced my power head under warranty when the crank shaft broke. But there is red gasket sealent on the side of the block, at the joint of the crankshaft. It does not look like a standard maufacturing seam.Please Help.

mrn714

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha 150 engine block serial numbers

If you crank broke, the entire block would need to be broken down, so sealant would not be something I would worry about. Only the motor has a SIR #. The block, power head etc, are only identified by part number. :rolleyes:

KNOTTY THOTS

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Yamaha 150 engine block serial numbers

Thanks Thom, but I was not worried about the sealant. It's just since it was repaired I have had lots of problems. I was told when the crank was repaired, that Yamaha replaced the power head. So I think they repaired it and kept the new power head for themself. When I took the engine apart this past weekend I found that same damaged. The piston and head had been damaged by flying metal in the cylinder. This was not why I was repairing in the first place. A differnt dealer found damage to # 6 cylinder because the o ring on the oil pump was not installed right. Also done when the crank was fixed.By the way there are etched numbers on the block.