Suzuki DF 60 fuel pump problem?

dunn

Recruit
While running my Suzuki DF 60 (2000 model) yesterday, the engine shut off at 4800 rpm after running fine for 15 minutes (almost as if the ignition was cut off). The first thing I did was to check the kill switch but it hadn't been activated. I was able to start the motor, but it died out again. After 5 minutes or so, it started and died once I engaged the throttle. Now, the motor will turn over fine but will not fire. Any ideas, maybe a bad fuel pump bad? I recently had water in the fuel and had the fuel system, valves, and fuel pump replaced.

dunn

Recruit
Re: Suzuki DF 60 fuel pump problem?

the valves and head were cleaned, not replaced. In addition, the coil was replaced.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Is this an EFI or carbed engine?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Check that the primer is pressurizing the input to the low pressure pump for the EFI and there is no restriction in the fuel supply.<br /><br />If that is okay, get a manual or take it to a Suzi or Johnson dealer. <br /><br />Good luck. :)

dunn

Recruit

THanks for the replys. The engine is EFI, I believe it has 4 injectors. It had been idling rough and was only topping out at 5000 rpm, it wouldn't take full throttle. From what little I know, I can't help but think it is a fuel problem.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

EFI 4 strokes are very complex engines, Dunn.<br /><br />Your problem might be the low pressure fuel pump or it might be spark plugs, ECU, filters or sensors. <br /><br />Don't mess with it without a manual, please.<br /><br />I have the same engine (DF70) and have found the manual priceless for keeping me from screwing it up.

dunn

Recruit

thanks. I have found that it is best to let the professionals do the work. They may be expensive, but they know a heck of a lot more than I do.