Suzuki 65HP 1993 won't run wide open

pro-techinc

Recruit
All 3 carburetors have been taken off and checked. The fuel pump was replaced.<br />When the fuel line is unhooked will run wide open. Man working on it now says contact a Dealer.<br />PLEASE HELP!!!

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Suzuki 65HP 1993 won't run wide open

1. The fact that it runs better with the fuel line off suggests a problem with your fuel line between the engine connection and the fuel in the tank. It may be running lean if it is sucking air at a loose connection. When you disconnect the line the connector seals the system and it won't suck any air and the engine runs until the carb bowls dry up. Try manually choking the engine partway with the cover off while somebody drives the boat when you go for WOT and see if it picks up a little then you'll know for sure.<br /><br />2. Alternately, the engine could be running rich due to a stuck float in the carbs or a hole in the inner fuel pump diaphragm and disconnecting the fuel line leans the engine out when the fuel level drops in the carb bowl. But since you have worked on the carbs and the fuel pumps I'm guessing it #1 above

pro-techinc

Recruit

Thanks for reply--Went out yesterday and it seemed to be missing. the throttle would not change the motor speed after about 3/4 throttle. Supicious of fuel line also or throttle adjustment on dash. Any more suggestions. Someone recomended the oil filter on another but found no square box. Did find a round flat plastic thing connected to oil tank.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

What year engine do you have? Some Suzukis will kick in a rev limiter (about 1/2 throttle rpm) if the flow of oil drops either from low oil in the reservoir or a clogged oil filter (the round puck like thing under the oil tank). Some also have a reset button on the CDI unit to turn it off.

pro-techinc

Recruit

I have a 1993!! It does have the reset switch on the motor but it has not been tripped. Can the oil bulb become clogged? <br /><br />Thanks for responding!!!

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

When you say oil bulb do you mean the oil filter? The oil filters can become clogged with a gelatinous slime and are relatively inexpensive to replace. You need a manual to make sure the oil injection is working correctly. Every model is a little different.

pro-techinc

Recruit

I guess it is the filter. It is the puck like thing under the oil tank. Is there a particular Manual that is best?

pro-techinc

Recruit

What is the difference between a Service/Shop Manual and A Repair Manual?

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

I am told that the manufacturer manuals are the most detailed and best but I have a Clymer and nothing to compare it to. Another brand is Seloc I think. I haven't seen the Suzuki manufacturer manual but if I had a choice I'd probably go with that, its what the dealer mechanics would be using as a reference. Either way everybody should have a repair manual even if you don't do the work yourself it allows you to talk intelligently with the mechanics and answers a lot of model specific questions.<br /><br />The puck thing is the oilfilter, really just a screen.