115 Yamaha Paint Discoloration/Overheating

dharris02

Recruit
On my 1994 Yamaha 115, I have had problem with buzzer going off at ~4200 rpm. No temperature or oil problem indication on panel, have moved depthfinder pick-up to avoid cavitation, replaced both temperature sensors, replaced both thermostats, replaced water pump impeller...mechanic says engine heads aren't overheating by touching them, and installed new battery. Last time alarm went off was after a run of 25 miles at 4200. Other times has gone off on run of 2-3 miles. Alarm eventually stops when engine speed is dropped to ~2000 rpm range. It didn't do this the first 5 years that I owned motor...460 total hours on engine. Pee hole flow is strong. Gradually, even before the buzzer problem started, paint on right side of engine about 2-3 inches above the lower unit bolt line began to turn hazy white in an area about size of golf ball. After above repairs, the size of the hazy white paint has grown significantly and has appeared on left side in same approximate location. Used boat for short trip this weekend, no alarm, but now on left side, I see the hazy white discoloration coming from a cover that bolts on to the leading edge of the motor shaft just above the lower unit bolt line...looks, like water stream drainage flow pattern, but this portion of motor is always below water surface...not sure where water level reaches when at high speed or in turns. What is the engine trying to tell me with the paint discoloration and timing of alarm buzzer? What should I do to fix the problem--- I'm extremely uneasy to go out in open water out of sight of land or people?

ob

Admiral
Re: 115 Yamaha Paint Discoloration/Overheating

Paint on the side of the midsection above lower unit horizontal joint sounds like perhaps the internal exhaust housing seals may be leaking.So far as the alarm is concerned I would verify engine temp by using a thermo gun or getting a thermo /melt stik of 163 degrees and marking in several locations on engine block and heads before water testing.It's possible that your alarm is sending false signal or may be an intermittent groung on sending unit wiring.<br /><br />Is this engine used primarily in salt water and if so is it flushed with fresh water after every use?If there is excessive water jacket scale and buildup ,the cooloing system can't do its job.

dharris02

Recruit

Thanks OB....The engine is used primarily in slightly brackish water with occasional trips to salt water. After salt water, I always run the engine in the river water before putting boat away. Dealer and mechanic say they have never had build up problems due to salt on engines run in this water. However, water at ramps tends to be silty and some years there is lots of sea weed, so this might enter into the situation. As to leaking internal exhaust housing seals, other than discoloring the paint, does it do any harm to leave seal situation as it is? What has to be done to correct the leaking seals?

ob

Admiral

Leaking exhaust housing seals doesn't usually cause major poblems other than the paint blemishes you mention.To replace them the lower unit will have to be removed.Good idea in the future to always replace these when waterpump is serviced.