Suzuki 140 ignition probl.?

gleand745

Recruit
Hi, I have just purcased a Suzuki DT 140 (88) that have running fine for a couple of months. Now it have problems getting up to speed. When I get the throttle up to about half it starts to misfire( I think you use that word :) or won't go on all cylinders. It seem to have a fit of coughing back there. The idle speed is (in my opinion) also to fast and the idle speed switch on the side cover seem to have no affect. The engine starts on the first stroke. I have tested the comp and it is about 130 on all four cyl. New plugs is also installed. Could it be something with the egnition system - and how can it be tested?<br /><br />The engine also produceing a lot of smoke when it starts, but I have been told that that would get better if I use a fully synthetic 2-stroke oil. Any comments or experiences on this??<br /><br />Nice boat weather here in Norway this days, so this realy sucks... :cool:

philtheskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Suzuki 140 ignition probl.?

I have a similair problem with my 1989 Suzuki DT 140. I'm getting a misfire around 1500 rpm's. I also would appreciate any help regarding this situation.<br /><br />Glenn,<br />My engine also smokes for the first minute or so when started cold. Seems to be common. I don't mean a huge amount of smoke, but enough to be noticed. After that there is no visible smoke.

vidar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

morn du...i got a 140 suz 85 and mine starts doing that when i reach 3000...but i have problem with air getting in fuel system...are going to try using an electric pump and bypass the pump/filters and see if it helps..coz cyl 1-2 are noooot getting enugh fuel when i throttel up to 3000....but iit sounds like ignition oon mine too...

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Morn, Glenn<br /><br />Remember to use TWC-3 rated oil, no matter mineral or synthetic - always TWC-3.<br /><br />All classic 2-strokes smokes a little at first. If you start it at idle or slightly raised idle it will be much less than if you start with 'some throttle'. If proper tuned it should start at idle no worries.<br /><br />I'd get a manual and troubleshoot it systematically, checking one point at a time. It's less than $30 + shipping (+ customs & moms) and it's well worth the price.

gleand745

Recruit

Aiai captain's :), Thank's for info UU and wo-max. The reason I'm suspicious about the ignition is the idle switch on the ignition box, it's not seem to be working at all-either in slower or faster position.<br /><br />Yes, I'm going to purchase a manual - and I have seen that many complaines on a manual called Clymer something... I have not chcked yet, but I assume you can order a manual through this site.<br /><br />I shall do a check on the fuel stuff, that's the cheapest thing to start with I guess. I have tested with one slave on board pumping on the hose while full throttle...no luck - could be a bad slave :)<br /><br />wo-max, regarding on which rpm my proplem starts -this is a little hard to tell because I don't have any counter in my boat, what is max rpm(full throttle)?<br /><br /> :cool: Cheers! -Glenn

vidar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hei Glenn . i cheked my engine again today.. bypassing fuel system.. no luck... but my nr.1 coil is out of figures... think i got it there...not enough spark to fire uunder heavy load..try ´to check your coils w/ohm meter..disconect all wires to coils and meter from plug cap to mount bolt and thin wire to mount bolt... if one coil is different...its propably the one giving hell..if prob. try give me a e-mail.. vidar.olsen4@chello.no :cool:

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Glenn,<br /><br />A tach is important. If you can't get one at a decent price up there, turn to www.tinytach.com for a small digital instrument. Costs less than $37 + the usual and is extremely simple to install.

vidar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yep.. a bad coil...went toby a new one today... :eek: 1300kr (165$) noo way...so i smashed the plugcap and find out that it was the resistor in cap that was bad....going to try another cap w/no resistor cause cant get any oem part,just complete w coil... :(

vidar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

YES!! its fixed! new plugcap/boot fixed it! now it runs like a bat out of hell.... :D :D

gleand745

Recruit

Where did you buy this cap with no resistor :confused: ?? Would like to try this myself...