HELP! HELP! HELP! Suzuki DT65 Dies at High Speed

I have a Suzuki DT65 (1989) which has just been serviced at the Dealers but is still running with a problem that they are unable to solve!<br /><br />'Here goes', the engine runs fine at low speed and sounds sweet and will run continuosly like this, until, when I open up the throttle its great for a few minutes and then it dies and will only run at just over tickover, it still sounds OK maybe a little throaty but I refuses to increase in revs. If I stop the engine and start it again the whole process is repeated but the engine will die much quicker when warm.<br /><br />What i've tried<br /><br />A full engine service by a Suzuki Dealer<br />Checked all fuel line connections for air getting in<br />Pumping the fuel line bulb (nothing happens)<br /><br />The engine is powering a 17ft Dellquay Dory similar to a Boston Whaler Montauk and is fitted with an 11 1/2 pitch prop. <br /><br /> Please Help I,m Desparate, the sun is shining & I cant use the Boat !!! :( :confused:

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: HELP! HELP! HELP! Suzuki DT65 Dies at High Speed

I have a Suzuki DT65 (1989) which has just been serviced at the Dealers but is still running with a problem that they are unable to solve!<br />--------------<br />Hi,<br />I had until recently a Suzuki DT65 (1991).<br /><br />'Here goes', the engine runs fine at low speed and sounds sweet and will run continuosly like this, until, when I open up the throttle its great for a few minutes and then it dies and will only run at just over tickover, it still sounds OK maybe a little throaty but I refuses to increase in revs. <br />-------------<br />Any alarm that goes on?<br />Overheat alarm (lamp on the alarm guage and or buzzer sound)? Any rev limit jumping in?<br /><br />If I stop the engine and start it again the whole process is repeated but the engine will die much quicker when warm.<br />-----------<br />Maybe overheating then?<br /><br />------------<br />What i've tried<br />A full engine service by a Suzuki Dealer<br /><br />Does that include change of impeller?<br />If not that could be a thing to do.<br />Has the carburators been serviced as well?<br /><br />Checked all fuel line connections for air getting in<br />---------<br />OK.<br /><br />Pumping the fuel line bulb (nothing happens)<br />---------<br />Checked the fuel filter also?<br /><br />The engine is powering a 17ft Dellquay Dory similar to a Boston Whaler Montauk <br />---------<br />OK, this boat is a planing boat - right?<br /><br />----------<br />and is fitted with an 11 1/2 pitch prop. <br /><br />I had Suzuki standard aluminium prop marked "S1500" (11,5 diam x 15 pitch) and rpm was 5500 then.<br />What is your max rpm (I assume you have tachometer)?<br /><br />I would make sure the thermostat is working. Take it out (but be careful with the bolts that hold the cover, it may be rusted). Test it in hot water so it opens at about 50-55 celsius deg.<br />Make a note how the thermostat is mounted before you take it out so it is mounted back correctly.<br /><br />Also make sure the over heat sensor (flow switch) is working. It is possible to test it with an Ohm meter - it is decribed in Seloc or Clymer manual how to do that.<br /><br />I would also make sure the cooling channels are cleaned out, a Suzuki service center should be able to do it (they did it on my outboard).<br /><br />Have you tested new spark plugs (correct model and gap)?<br /><br />Have you made cylinder pressure test so You know there is no problem with any cylinder?<br /><br />Is there water coming out of the telltale?<br /><br />Hope it helps.<br /><br />/Bo

sirlespat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does the engine feel hot when it stops. <br />Another common reason is if the vent is closed or blocked on the fuel tank. This leans the engine at power. Is the fuel bulb hard? does WOT improve if you pump it when the problem starts to occur. Be careful I know people who have fallen out when the engine burst back into life after squeezing the bulb.<br />regards<br />sirlespat

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Remove the airbox and squirt some premix into the carb throats at speed and see if that helps, if so the engine is leaning out at speed and you need to find out why, carb, fuel pump, fuel line leak, etc. If it doesn't help, disconnect the fuel line and wait a bit and see if that helps, if so the engine may be running rich, and you need to find out why, carbs, fuel pump, etc.

ahs46

Cadet

try high speed jets, i have a dt65 on my boston whaler montauk and it used to do the same thing to me.