Suzuki 85 HP water pump blows out air but not water

justboatin

Recruit
When I put ear muffs on it it will blow out water through the hole but when I go out on the lake it doesn't work. The pump is fine though. What is wrong???

fish4970

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Suzuki 85 HP water pump blows out air but not water

justboatin<br />If it is an 87 model, I feel for you. <br />Look at my post and you might get some place <br />to start looking.<br />(87dt85 still overheating)<br />There is another compodre by the name jimd<br />who also has the same motor. <br />You may want to look at some of his posts.<br />We have been doing extensive research and throwing money at thease motors to no avail<br />I hope you have better luck than us.<br />If you do please post it for us poor slobs.<br />Did you replace the impeller? <br />Did you check the gromets on the metal water pipe <br />between the pump & powerhead?<br />Did you check the Thermostat?<br />Please tell us more about your motor and what you<br />have done so far.<br />if you hav not allready done it , change the impeller, that should be the first thing to try<br />If it is bad it would cause the problem you describe <br />muffs have enough pressure to flow water even <br />with no impeller

fish4970

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh and welcome to iboats<br />this is a great forum for anyone who owns a boat

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Hmm..not a Suzuki guy but...from the sounds of it I would be looking for a leaking exhaust gasket or blown head gasket.<br /><br />Reason I say this is when you submerge the engine you get back pressure on the exhaust..and a better chance it will find another route to leave the engine.<br /><br />TMD

SailorMotor

Recruit

I have a similar problem with a Suzuki DT 3.5, After replacing the impeller, there's no water coming out of the pee hole, Mostly just air with spits of water, it feels like exhaust. I'll try replacing the rubber grommet around the outlet tube. Any other ideas?

justboatin

Recruit

I got water to come out of the little hole but should there be water coming out of the exaust hole in the back of the engine??

sirlespat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Check that the water entry slot on the pump bottom plate is to the Port side of the gearcase meaning that it takes 270 degrees of rotation of the shaft to move the impeller arm from the bottom plate slot to the the water exit at the top (rear) of pump. if plate is installed upside down slot and exit are in the same place and pumping will not occur. It works with muffs because you have water pressure. If you have a poor water tube connection between pump and powerhead, water can generally be seen leaking from a hole in the front of the leg just above the gearcase.<br />Regards sirlespat