muriatic acid flush Suzuki DF 50

sjds

Cadet
Have a Suzuki DF 50 that has an obstuction in the water flow system, I think in the small tubes that carry water to the telltale pisser (and I think to a anti vapor lock device). Have tried salt away solution, which has helped, but not solved the problem. Engine is used in salt water and flushed infrequently. <br /><br />Question is will a solution of muriatic acid and water harm anything internally in the engine?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: muriatic acid flush Suzuki DF 50

I would like to see the answer to your question. I wouldn't try it myself though. For OMC motors I would replace the waterpump and thermostats and if I thought it were real bad I would take of the head and exhaust cover and scrape the crud out - can't speak to the Suzy.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

What SoLittle said. Then replace those hoses and flush more frequently.

echozulu

Seaman

you didnt say if the motor was overheating or if the peehole was just plugged up...dont use acid youll cause more problems..suzuki (in my opinion)corrodes more than american engines.. i would pull the exhaust covers if the bolts will come out,to cleanout the passageways

warreng

Recruit

I had a problem with a 1986 Suzuki DT150 SS similar to this. Turns out a piece of the head gasket on the starboard side cracked of and and lodged in the water bypass jackets inside the head. Replaced the headgasket and scraped out the corrosion. Engine lived in saltwater and you can't believe the corrosion that was in there. Seems like the cooling water wouldn't make the trip all the way around and had no pressure coming back down. Motor only ran hot on that side, but peehole pressure was very low before change.

Walker

Captain

Muratic acid eats aluminum. Your enging block is aluminum. I'd say its a bad idea. May not do any harm the first time but who knows.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Walker is right. The acid may sound good in theory, but the problem is the execution. The acid won't necessarily eat what you want when you want it to and then stop. The acid will tend to eat the most in the cracks and crannies (gasket and seal areas, and machined surfaces) which have more surface area and not necessarily the corrosion clogs. People often think of obstructions as a single place which may be the case for a rogue impeller vane, but corrosion obstructions occur in multiple places and it is the aggregate restriction that cause the problem. Think arteriosclerosis.

snappernz

Seaman

you need to flush your motor EVERY time use it for 5 to 10 minutes if you want it to last any length of time