Yamaha Temp Indicator '89 175 HP

Reelistic

Seaman Apprentice
Have a problem where the temp indicator lamp on the console FLASHES continuously while the key is on (cold motor). When the key is first turned on, all indicator lamps momentarily light, as normal, then all extinguish except the Temp Lamp. Originally thought the problem may be related to the temp sensors. Found the temp sensors on the heads, disconected, light still on. Shorted the leads at the sensors, overheat alarm horn functions normally. Any suggestions as to what may be causing the temp lamp to flash?

Jammu

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Yamaha Temp Indicator '89 175 HP

The lamp flash because you haven't the temp sender on the head.<br />There is a plug on the head's where it should be installed. It's an option, not original part.<br /> <br />The temp sensor just put the alarm on when the engine run too hot and the RPM's fall's down.

Reelistic

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Yamaha Temp Indicator '89 175 HP

Thanks for the reply... Since this problem just began, can I assume the temp sensor you mentioned IS installed and is merely defective? How can I identify this sensor? I found (with the help of Capt Ken) what I thought were the temp sensors (one on each head) and when I short thier leads together the alarm horn sounds in addition to the temp lamp illuminating. Otherwise, the motor runs fine at all throttle positions and is not hot to the touch. No alarm horn, just that darn flashing light!! Any advice?