88 Suzuki DT30 - head gasket problem ?

kzdog

Recruit
I recently bought an 88 Suzuki DT30, 3 cyl.<br />Ran great first time out this year, good power and smooth idle. But then it started running real rough, loss of power, like one of the cylinders wasn't firing. <br /><br />Brought into my local Suzuki service/dealer for tuneup and they said I had a tank of bad gas. <br />Got it back supposedly tuned up and ready to go. I drained the old gas, put in premium non-oxy 92 octane, dropped her in the water and it ran worse than before! Didn't even make it across the lake. <br />Took it right back to the dealer for an explanation and now they tell me the head gasket's blown !! <br /><br />Seems like I'm getting the runaround from the dealer and definitely not impressed with Suzuki's reliability so far.<br /><br />I saw a recent post on Suzuki 3 cyl. overheating and "popping" head gaskets. Do you think the gasket's truly blown or have I run into a shady dealer ?

outboardjake

Seaman
Re: 88 Suzuki DT30 - head gasket problem ?

We service over 200 suzuki outboards a year and have only had one or two bad head gaskets in the past 5 years. Check compression, it should show up there. Most of the problems we have with the dt25 and dt30 is carbs.

kzdog

Recruit
Re: 88 Suzuki DT30 - head gasket problem ?

Thanks for the reply and reassurance. <br />Will get the compression checked before I decide what to do.<br /><br />Since you mentioned the problem with the carbs on DT25 - DT30's do you have any advice on preventing the problems from occuring ?