Yamaha 130hp Repair Costs

mike rogers

Recruit
I Had unfortunate luck to swamp/sink a rental boat in Keys this past weekend, motor was imersersed about 45 min.. then broken down and 'pickled". Problem is marina owner wants to hit me for 10,000 for replacement of motor. I believe serial number V707664 makes it a 96 or 97 model rather than the 2002 model he claims...I know i am responsible for damages, but being taken advantage of should not be part of plan.I gave him a 2500 collateral,my insurance adjuster, while dening my claim (no rental coverage) indicated that 2500 should be plenty to get that motor back in service..Can anyone give me some help?

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: Yamaha 130hp Repair Costs

Actually the engine shouldn't have needed tearing down. Clean carbs out and spin water out of the engine with plugs out. Add fresh gas and fire it off. After you're sure its gonna survive, then attack the electrical systems and repair or replace them. I just did a 3.0 mercruiser that laid upside down in the surf all nite pounding. Took me about 7 hours to get things cleaned up enough to run it, but its OK now. Or at least the engine is, the boat is totaled.

rudeafrican

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Yamaha 130hp Repair Costs

Yo Mike, <br /><br />Don't pay the dude another cent. Capt Ken is spot on. We do engine resusitation after swamping as part of our sea skippers course and your average 2 stroke will be up and running within a few hours (3 or 4) of being swamped. This dude is taking you for a ride big time. Even the $2500 was way to much to pay for 3 hours labour.<br /><br />PS I'd love to hear the story on how you sank her?