1998 ,, 225, yamaha long shaft over heating while usinglower unit flush adapter

fdnytoneny

Recruit
upon changing the water pump .I wanted to test the pump using lower unit water supply adaptors. The motor over heated after afew min..I dropped the lower unit again to check impeller everything was good..MAKEING sure water tube was in place tryed it agian same results. purchased a double supply water adaptor a good one $30...same results Put motor in a barrel and motor ran fine. this is my first yamaha is this weird or am I missing something.

KenOhki

Seaman
Re: 1998 ,, 225, yamaha long shaft over heating while usinglower unit flush adap

Re: 1998 ,, 225, yamaha long shaft over heating while usinglower unit flush adap

yours is not the first I have heard of that showed no water at the pee hole wile on water mufflers. Most people with this problem have low water presure to start with or have failed to turn the hose up full blast. If it works in the bucket, its working fine. Both of my motors do the same thing, as well as several friends of mine.

captain537

Cadet

Hello<br />I have the exact same engine. What you need to do is remove the black plastic inlet scren from your lower end, there is just one screw that goes through the middle of it. seat the ear muffs as good as you can, turn hose on full open and wait about 2 or 3 mins before starting the engine.<br />I have been doing this during winterizing and when I run it in the yard in the spring and only ever hear an alrm one time and that is when I had a thermostat that stuck.<br />If you haven't taken your thermostats out, check them.<br />2 10mm bolts right on top of your head. They are about 20 dollars each to replace, check for corrosion in the thermometer wells too.<br />I was getting pitting in the port side while the starboard side looks like brand new. I cleaned it extremely well and did some dental work with marine-tek.<br />I have 900 hours on mine and it purrrrrrrrrrs.

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer

Did you put the new impeller in with the vanes bending the correct direction?Otherwise,make sure hose pressure is good.Check for kinks in hose.Check/test thermostats for opening(stuck closed :confused: ......