Prop shaft on Yamaha 60 hp

Anton L

Recruit
Maybe someone knows if this is a serious falure or not:<br /><br />The prop shaft of my yamaha 60 is not perfectly straight. I boughed it used and only after a while recognized that it is a little curved (barely recognizable) and when you rotate it with your hand it sort of goes slightly sideways. May be it was dropped while being carried by someone before - I don't know, but there are no signes on the lower unit indicating that it hit something under the water before.<br /><br />At the same time absolutely no oil leaks from the lower unit, indicating that the 0 rings are fine and when I checked the oil there it was perfect, meaning no water in it.<br /><br />How bad is it anyway? From what I understand the props are never balanced (unless someone does it himself). Should I take the prop shaft out and put in a new one, or just leave everything the way it is?

ob

Admiral
Re: Prop shaft on Yamaha 60 hp

Anton,I would definately have the propshaft removed and straightened or replaced .Needs to be within .001" - .0015" runout to be in the acceptable range ,else it poses excessive radial stress to carrier bearings.At speed ,It'll shake like a dog passin razor blades. Prop probably contacted something under water or happened during shipping as you state.

JUICED

Recruit
Re: Prop shaft on Yamaha 60 hp

is this the same for a 2007 40hp 2 stroke?