1988 Suzuki 150 ignition problems

met128

Seaman Apprentice
After rebuilding the carbs and the fuel pumps the motor won't start. I checked the plugs and they are wet. So fuel is there. I had this motor running two days ago but noticed fuel coming out of the bottom carb. I noticed today that the spark was very weak and the motor would not start. Is there a system on suzuki that lowers the spark output if oil flow is not detected? I would like to get rid of the oil injection on this motor and run premix. Do I just remove the oil pump gear to do this? And do I have to do anyting to the sensors to do this? :confused:

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1988 Suzuki 150 ignition problems

There is a electronic warning system on Suzukis that lowers the rpm to about 3500 when the oil flow is reduced. They also have a max rev limiter. Some Suzukis have a reset switch somewhere on the engine to reset it. There are lots of opinions on this forum about whether and how to disconnect the oil injection. My opinion is that Suzuki has a superb system (they had a lot of experienc with motorcycles before they made outboards and they have been making outboards for several decades now) and you should stick with it, just maintain it. The oil filter and hoses might need replacing but my experience is limited and others may disagree.<br /><br />But I digress, I don't think the warning system weakens the spark just limits the revs electronically. Either you messed up the spark while you were working on it or it was messed up before you started and you just now found out about it. Apparently it was at least running before you did the carbs so if nothing has changed in the ignition perhaps something is amiss in the carb area.

met128

Seaman Apprentice

JimD thanks for the reply. The problem continues... I now have no spark. I checked the fuses with a meter and there good. <br />I also checked the timer and inductive pickups on the fly wheel. Does anyone have a schematic for this motor. I have called all around for a manual but no one around here has one in stock. :confused: :confused: :confused:

fridays

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Suzuki ignition systems are pretty bulletproof. Before you go spending money for nothing disconnect the wiring harness (black plug on stbd. side of motor) and kick the motor over by jumping the starter solenoid manually( yellow wire w/red stipe to the hot solenoid terminal). Do you have spark? If so check your ignition switch or kill switch. Also is your primer working? If the carbs needed to be cleaned your primer probably does too. Turn the key on and push it in..you should hear a click at the primer..if so hold it in , count to ten and then start. If you don't hear a click back out the manual primer screw (port side by flywheel) count to ten ,screw it back down and start. If it goes you need to fix the primer. If all else fails call me at 804-758-4131. I have all that you may need. Phil at Fridays Marine. fridays@oonl.com

met128

Seaman Apprentice

FridaysMarine thanks for the reply. I was able to get it to start. I will have to test the boat tommarrow. I did clean the choke solenoid and rebuilt all the carbs and one fuel pump. I had weak spark yesterday but now its fine. I will do some fine tuning at the lake. This is my first Zki. Use to Johnsons. Will see how it turn out in the am.