salty motor ... inside scrub

spete

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've found out that the onboard flush hose on the Yamaha isn't for flushing the entire engine or meant to be used to run motor to flush internal workings = I've been leaving a lot of salt water inside my motor. Wondering if there is a good cleaner like CLR I can use or CRC rust inhibitor I can spray inside to dissovle/remove any corrosion that's built up on the inside?

D

DJ

Re: salty motor ... inside scrub

Spete,<br /><br />Try a product caled "Salt Away".

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, Salt Away is a good product. I run exclusively in salt water and it does a good job of cleaning.

spete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the suggestion ... know where i can get it? I'm also looking for a bra-type flush contraption to fit the lower unit of my motor which has a low-water pickpup. I was told Bob's machine, but I did not see one there.<br /><br />Thanks again!

D

DJ

Spete,<br /><br />I would think many marinas or marine supply stores in coatal Texas would carry it. It's very popular around coastal areas.<br /><br />Can't help you with the flushing device you're looking for. You may want to consider a cut down plastic 55 gallon drum. There are lots of those around from the Y2K scare.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

SPETE- try a Merc dealer...part#849996T 1 or part# 848703A 1...they should have a picture in the Merc Accessories Guide or call me and I'll fax a picture(941)629-5300..Bob ;)

spete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

appreciate the response - wondering how the Salt Away is infused into flush water if using a hose or if i must use a barrel to mix and run through system?

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Spete-the Salt Terminator made by Kwik Tek has a kit you buy 1st time with with hose fittings that allow hookup between flusher and hose-simple screw together hookup...then you buy terminator by the gallon ;)

Walker

Captain

heck spete, just make a lap around Lake Travis. That ought to flush it good.

Hawaiian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have heard that the Salt Away product contains mostly vinegar. How about adding a little white vinegar to a 55 gallon tub when flushing motor instead?

spete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

10-4 walker ... that's what I outta do! I checked out the salt terminator last night and it's pretty pricey - $20 a gallon or $16 for the small jug with the hose fitting.