Honda 9.9 vs Yamaha 8 high thrust as a kicker

kinghooker

Recruit
I'm also looking at a kicker motor for trolling the honda and the yamaha would both be high thrust but the yamaha has a hydraulic tilt and beefed up transom. Where the honda only has a manual tilt. Both would have remote controls from the captains seat. Anyone use either as a kicker motor with advise.<br /><br />Thanks

Forktail

Ensign
Re: Honda 9.9 vs Yamaha 8 high thrust as a kicker

The Honda BF9.9 and BF8 are good outboards. They share the same block (222 cc) and both utilize a 2.33:1 gear ratio. Their High-Thrust version uses a modified prop. <br /><br />But only Yamaha makes a true High-Thrust trolling motor. The Yamaha T9.9 High Thrust will have a larger gear case and larger gear ratio (2.92:1) as well as a HT prop. It has a larger 232 cc displacement engine than the Honda. The T8 sits on a different block than the T9.9 at 197 cc, but uses the same gear case. Only the T8 has the hydraulic tilt option.<br /><br />I own several Yamaha T9.9's and they are like good swiss watches. ;)

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Kinghooker<br />I do not belive the Yamaha F8 has the tilt switch. The Yamaha T8 does have the Power Tilt. The T8 is a very popular kicker motor out here in the west. I say on new boats almost 50 percent T8 Yahama kickers.<br /><br />I not sure how big your boat is or how you use it but for my 21 foot boat I looking at the new motors honda came out with this year.<br />The two motors share the same power head at 350cc and weigh 101 LB. The two motors are the Honda BF15 and BF20 and are available with power tilt. The lower unit is 2.08 to 1 and have two high thrust props 10x7 5/8 inch and 10x6.5 inch. Also two regular props 9 1/4x10 inch or 9 1/4x8 inch. In reverse both motor vent exhaust away from prop for better backing. Both motor have a 12 amp 151 watt alternator standard for electric start and a option for manual start. 6 amp standard for manual start.<br /><br />In my case looking to replace a 1975 15 HP 2 stroke Johnson that does not have enough power in some cases. Trolling for Albacore tuna many troll at 9 mile per hour. Also for saftey motor to get in should the main motor fail. In high winds and high seas my 15 does not have quite enough power. These two motors of coruse cost more but for my boat worth a lot more. Just though you might want to check them. One thing I have not been able to find out yet is if the 12 amp alternator has a voltage regulator or not. Have Check with two dealers and the factory rep at boat show and no one knows. I belive a 12 amp alternator needs a voltage regulator.

Forktail

Ensign

"I do not belive the Yamaha F8 has the tilt switch. The Yamaha T8 does have the Power Tilt."<br /><br />Oops, your right. I forgot the High Thrust 4-stroke models are designated with "T" instead of the more common 4-stroke "F". I'll go back and edit my post...thanks Boatist. :)