Yamaha 115 Tilt Trim Hydraulic Leak

Bsmith69

Recruit
I have a yamaha 115 outboard and one of the hydraulic cylinders started leaking around the seal at the top. I had to replace the trim motor and once I did and started to put pressure back on the unit after filling it with hydraulic fluid I noticed it leaking fluid when it was under pressure.<br /><br />My question is two part - 1) do they sell parts for the hydraulic cylinders (like gaskets, etc.) 2) It looks like there is a special tool required to remove the top to the cylinder. Does anyone know where I might be able to get the tool?<br /><br />Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: Yamaha 115 Tilt Trim Hydraulic Leak

Yes, they make a special tool to remove the cap. I use an adjustable spanner wrench myself. Problem is, this engine is more than likely an older one and the corrosion will keep it from unscrewing. So this leads to having to heat the cylinder to break things loose. Why the cap is leaking is simple. Inside the cap is a groove that houses an O ring. This O ring is the seal for the ram. Corrosion has started in the groove and has pushed the O ring out of place. After removing the cap, remove the O ring and clean the groove. Reinstall new O ring and reinstall cap. Oh yeah, be sure the ram isn't scratched or it will need to be polished or replaced.

Bsmith69

Recruit

Capt Ken,<br /><br />Thanks for the feedback. Where can I get the special tool or adjustable spanner wrench? I figured the problem was what you described I just haven't been able to find any schematics on the hydraulic cylinder or where I could find the special tool.

Capt Ken

Commander

The adjustable spanner can be bought at most tool places. Once the cap is off, its simple to figure out. Actually won't lose much fluid either. Of course, don't forget to block the engine up before attempting this job.