leaky tilt on .86 yamaha 140 hp

thebow

Recruit
Hi,<br /><br />The tilt cyclinder seems to have dodgy seals but after having a mechanic look at the unit he beleives the only thing wrong are the seals.<br /><br />The only problem is yamaha only sell what seems to eb the complete unit sans casing for $670 AUS whihc seems exhorbitant to me since all I need is a new seal kit.<br /><br />Anyone got suggestions on a possible fix? I know I can just keep filling it until it breaks but I would prefer not to do this.<br /><br />Thanks

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: leaky tilt on .86 yamaha 140 hp

Being that you say you can keep filling it, I assume the unit is leaking. Yamaha doesn't sell a seal kit for their trim systems but you can buy the seals separate. What has happened to your unit is the groove the O ring sits in has corrosion in it and is forcing the O ring out of place and it is leaking. You can remove the top cap of which ever ram is leaking, remove the internal O ring and clean out the groove. If the O ring is still usable, reuse it or find a match. Worse case, you can just buy the ram cap.

thebow

Recruit

Hi,<br /><br /><Being that you say you can keep filling it, I assume the unit is leaking. Yamaha doesn't sell a seal kit for their trim systems but you can buy the seals separate. What has happened to your unit is the groove the O ring sits in has corrosion in it and is forcing the O ring out of place and it is leaking. You can remove the top cap of which ever ram is leaking, remove the internal O ring and clean out the groove. If the O ring is still usable, reuse it or find a match. Worse case, you can just buy the ram cap.<br />><br /><br />Okay just to clarify it is the power tilt ram that is leaking. I found a place where you can buy the seals so that made me a little happier.<br /><br />Is this something that is user serviceable, do you need special tools etc. Getting quotes of $250-$350 AUS to replace this seal. Seems a little much to me but not having performed this work I am a poor judge of work required.<br /><br />Thanks for the reply

Capt Ken

Commander

As for owner repairing this, my answer would be yes/no. In order to replace the O ring on the tilt ram, you first need to get the cap to unscrew. Not easy if its been in salt water. If you can find the correct spanner wrench to fit the holes, you'll still need to heat the end of the ram to get the cap to unscrew. You then raise the engine by hand till the ram exits the tube. Remove the valve body, being careful not to let it separate and lose parts. Then slide the cap off the arm. Now you check to see if there is any nicks in the arm and if there is, you may be able to polish them out. If not, replace the arm. Once you repair/replace the cap, reassemble in reverse order. As for the repair price, not knowing the exchange rate between down under dollars and US, that would be about right for US dollars.