• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Help with 87 Suzuki Outboard

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with 87 Suzuki Outboard

Gidday from down in the South Pacific in New Zealand, home of the America's Cup. Havinga spot of bother with my outboard and came across this site so decided to ask you experts for abit of help.I have an 87 DT55c Suzuki outboard which has been good as gold but decided to replace the impeller myself before the season got going down this way. This site pointed me how to release the gearshift rod at the top no problem and it all came off ok. Replacing the impeller & gasket was easy as well. The problems started when I try to reassemble the unit. The spacer plate the pump mounts on lifts and will not close up as I screw the impeller housing down. I found out that is because the stainless plate pushes down on the bronze bearing for the gear shift that is mounted in the spacer plate. Apparently when I dropped the casing off it has gone into gear and is too high. In trying to resolve this out on the bench now the gear shift rod has pulled loose of whatever it is that holds it in the gearcase and nothing will go back together. I would appreciate a little information and or diagrams scanned etc to help me put this back to gether before all the fish go home. I don't wnat to pull the prop and gearcase out without more info in case I do more harm. An exploded view of the gearcase would be a great help. Suzuki is not a big name in outboards down here, Yamaha has the front runner spot. Any help/suggestions can be posted here or emailed to radad@value.net.nz or better still brent.russell@nzl.xerox.com ( my work address ) It has a 2 meg pipe so anything gets through. Any questions you got about fishing down here in New Zealand drop us an email to either address. Thanks for any help you may give guys and tight lines to you all.Brent

Re: Help with 87 Suzuki Outboard

bump

Comment

This is a different year and model.

Comment

Thanks guys, 2 replies with all the info I need, real quick. Just shows, International Cooperation ain't dead is it or just normal boaties help to one another when in trouble. Hopefully should be able to sort it out when I get some time to play with it. Let you know.regardsBrent

Comment

Working...
        X