Fuel Lines

Boxnova

Recruit
My 86 Yamaha,not too sure on model number,no plate available. Question is does the fuel lines need to be replaced with coast guard approved. i've seen brand new ones at west marine and they don't have any thing that says cg approved on them. the size is 1/4 of an inch. And where could I get spring clips or some said to use tie raps instead.

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fuel Lines

OEM fuel lines have a thicker wall and different composition. Designed to take the vigors of sunlight, abrazations and misc. chemical spills. Clamps or ties should be available from any dealer.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Are you replacing fuel lines because you don't think the current ones are correct, or because the old ones are just due for replacement? I would think an '86 probably doesn't need fuel line replacement yet unless you have cracking or leaking, or some kind of deterioration. In any case, though, replacement lines specified for fuel line use should be fine -- particularly if purchased from places like West Marine or Boat U.S.. I like stainless hose clamps rather than those clips you often find as part of original equipment.

ShafferNY

Petty Officer 1st Class

You don't have to use Coast Guard Approved, thats just an approval ratting and usually just good as regular fuel line, I'd only use it if I were going out miles from shore. Am I right on this guys.<br /><br />Anyways, I've always used regular automotive fuel line and never had a problem.