suzuki 140. charging ?

captncoin

Recruit
i have a suzuki 140 (93 model, 2 stroke) that shows 12.5 or 6, maybe 8. have read a couple o letters talkin bout reving the motor to see if charging. all i've done is at idle . checked the stators, they show a pulse when spinning over. have put a new voltage reg. on. when 1st got boat the batt died on me(new batt). put another in and the regulator on, took to the beach for a week, kept the charger on each nite to be safe (12.6) haven't tried to ck at higher rev than idle. am i doin something wrong?do i need to ck at 2k rpm?please help. p.s. had two shops look at it.couldn't figure it out. :confused:

ebbtide176

Commander
Re: suzuki 140. charging ?

captcoin i'm no boat mech, but in general, motors don't produce as much current at idle as they do at normal operating speed. that speed i can't say. but i think you will need info on the voltage output at higher revs before you can get a good picture of whats going on with your charging system. it might be that your battery was bad and it charges fine now... or did you already check it again with the new battery?<br />all i can offer is that, plus the fact that your 12v battery should be @ 12.6v when fully charged sitting alone.

captncoin

Recruit

thanks ebb,i will ck out at higer rev. i'm new at this myself. thanks 4 the reply. :)

ebbtide176

Commander

glad to help, as i'm really here to help if i can. i'm a guy with dated info, but it still comes in handy sometimes. since you said you were new, this might help: the 12v battery is generally comprised of 6 cells of 2.1v ea. that's how the total comes to 12.6v. it will require a higher voltage to 'push' the current into it, taking the voltage up. kinda like water. that's why the charging system should reach @ 13v to do it. or at least to do it within a reasonable amt of time. i guess standard expectations are for a charging system of @ 14.5v. i'd let it slide if it were 15v, unless it started drying out (losing fluid)in the battery. only because too much current flow causes too much heat, which does this to the battery. its one thing to fast charge a battery with a separate battery charger every now & then, but you gotta be careful if your charging system is constantly doing it.