70 hp yamaha steering cable problem

pcarter

Recruit
I have a 1986 70hp yamaha which came new on an 86 skeeter bass boat. On my last trip out after turning to the left to circle back to the dock, the steering wheel popped, and I lost my steering. The steering wheel will turn the motor to the right, but turning left just feeds out cable through an assembly on the steering column. I have tilt tube steering connections.

nc4z

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 70 hp yamaha steering cable problem

Sounds to me ,like the inner part of the cable is broken. When turning right the broken part pushes against the other end thats broken but turning left it is drawn out of the sleeve, and will come out at the steering assy.

Trent

Captain

Time for a new steering system. About 130.00<br />You will need to know if you have rack steering or rotary. Also look at the cable near the engine and see the length stamped on it.

FORCEfull

Seaman Apprentice

It is very simple. Your new system will come with directions. I just changed one on my boat and it was very simple. I have done several and never had a problem.

pcarter

Recruit

I've determined that I have a tube mount rotary steering cable system. I'm trying to remove the cable myself. The cable is disconnected from the rotary piece under the steering wheel, but I'm unable to disconnect it at the motor. The nut on the outer cable is off at the tube mount,and the tube mount is unbolted from the opposite side of the motor. The pin that goes through the motor turns freely, but the cable won't unscrew. The motor is mounted down low so that I'm unable to pull the pin on out of the motor. To pull the whole assembly out, the motor would have to be hoisted up 6-8 inches. Is there some way to get the cable out without hoisting the motor.

Trent

Captain

Nope.....Your going to have to pull the engine to replace the cable.