Yamaha 50 ..rebuild or part out

FORCEfull

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 89 model 50 horse yamaha. It got hot and two cylinders read 90 pounds compression the other cylinder is 120 pounds. Is it worth rebuilding? If so should i bore all three cylinders or just the two?

Trent

Captain
Re: Yamaha 50 ..rebuild or part out

Try running decarb thru the engine and fix the overheat problem. You might not need to rebuild?

mrc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

whether or not it's worth rebuilding is up to you. <br /><br />The major factor is: Are you going to rebuild it yourself. <br />If so, weigh your time commitment, the monitary cost of<br />having somebody bore the block and replace necessary <br />pistons. Then weigh your probability of ever getting it <br />running again. It almost certainly more expensive to have<br />a mechanic build it back up from parts than it is to have<br />him rebuild it. Rebuilding is a very tedious and meticulous<br />job that requires you to catalog all the parts as you dissassemble<br />in order to have any chance at reassembling.<br /><br />If your not planning on rebuilding it yourself it's a simple <br />cost comparison between the cost of a new motor, <br />the cost of a used motor, the rebuild cost, and how<br />much you can get parting out your motor (Well and<br />how much you need that motor replaced)<br /><br />Anyway, good luck<br />Mike

FORCEfull

Seaman Apprentice

The overheat problem was the impeller...that has been replaced. What will the decarb do for the low compression problem?

S.T. Marine

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would personally rebuild the motor. Yamaha motors are very expensive. If you plan on keeping the boat it is on for a while go for it. I would bore all 3 cylinders .015 over or see how bad they are. New motors are very expensive new and used motors you do not know what you are getting!!! Good luck