yamaha 150 oil mixture

jig

Cadet
I have a 1985 150 yamaha. I has a large oil tank under the console and a small tank located on the engine. The oil tranfer pump quit pumping several months ago and I fill the small tank manually. In the begining it would last for several hours somtime the whole fishing trip. but latley it has to be refill every 30 to 45 mins. I know it is using way to much oil and it smokes like it is using to much oil. The question is there a way to set the proper mixture.

rbu

Seaman
Re: yamaha 150 oil mixture

Do you have a repair manual for this engine? If not, you should get one. It should give you the proper procedure. What you usually have to do is run a pre-mix in a 6 gallon tank, and then pull off one of the oil injection lines. Run the engine for a predetermined amount of time and measure the amount of oil that comes out of the line. Then you can make adjustments on the rod that connects the lower carb to the oil pump to change the amount of oil flow.

mhadden

Cadet

I have the exact same engine (1985 Yamaha 150), and I just disconnected the oil injection and converted to pre-mix 50:1. It runs great, and there is never a concern about how much oil it is getting. I just disconnected the low oil alarm, so the engine runs like it never had oil injection.<br />I highly recommend this conversion when your oil injection system starts to go bad.

Saltymut

Seaman

Is it that simple???? I have a '85 Yamaha 220 V6 with a remote oil pump (single hose). I am having problems with air bubbles/oil coming right out of my remote oil pump. It's having the same problem that I have read about in this forum. Low oil light comes on about 15-30 minutes into the trip. Pulled off the cowling and the reserve oil tank shows 1/3 full. The only thing that seperates my problem from everyone elses is that when I turn off the engine then turn the key to the on (not start) position, the remote oil pump runs, but it does not pump oil into the reserve tank (on the engine). I've even tried to relocate the oil tank closer to the engine (3'-4'), I would easily replace the pump, but they Yamaha dealer says it about $350.00 (OUCH !!!!). I have not run through ALL of the troubleshooting giude in the Sealoc repair manual, but I am pretty sure it's got someting to do with that pump.<br /><br />I guess I'd better get to a question here. Is it just a matter of disconnecting the oil injection and the alarm to convert the engine to accept a 50:1 mixture? That seems too simple! Why aren't there more posts about this? It would solve many headaches with that damn pump! <br /><br />What are the drawbacks? <br /><br />Saltymut