seized 40 hp Suzuki

richardsondm

Recruit
After about 20 minutes of running, from idle to 2/3 throttle, my outboard motor seized up. No funny noises prior to seizing, nothing unusual that I can see externally.<br /><br />I'm not sure what year the motor is, but the model nuber is DT 40, identification number is 506421.<br /><br />Any ideas on how to start diagnosing the problem?<br /><br />Thanks!

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: seized 40 hp Suzuki

Piston seizing is usually caused by lack of lubrication. Will it turn with a wrench on the flywheel and the plugs out?<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

richardsondm

Recruit

I pulled the plugs, they are brown and dry. The fly wheel turns about 1/2 turn with moderate friction, and then stops dead. It will back up, but then stops at the same spot.<br /><br />The engine is oil injected, I did not get any warnings (alarm) that it was not functioning, and the oil reservoir is full.<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />GatorDave

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

Pull the lower unit and try turning the engine. You may have fried the gearbox.

richardsondm

Recruit

The prop turns freely in neutral, but does not turn when I put it in gear. If the gear box was damaged, wouldn't the prop fail to turn whether in neutral or in gear?<br /><br />GatorDave