85' 115 HP Yamaha is sneezing

gtyoder

Recruit
I am having trouble with my 115....it originally just looked like a carb and coil problem, so i rebuilt the carbs and replaced the coils....all 4 wires fire great....carbs are sinc'd....i cannot get the boat on plane and while i am idling, it will idle fine then all of a sudden sneeze and die.....<br /><br />Any suggestions on what to look for?<br /><br />Thanks in advance

wjones

Cadet
Re: 85' 115 HP Yamaha is sneezing

I had a similar problem on the Chesapeake on Sunday. The motor would idle OK. If I increased throttle it would run for maybe 15 seconds on plane then die. Not fun 10 miles from ramp. Thought it was electrical. On Monday after work, I removed my gas filter and poured it into a glass jar. The filter was 3/4 full of water. I hope that was my problem. Maybe yours too. It makes sense that at lower fuel flows idle was OK. At higher flows water was being sucked from bottom of the filter. Worth a look.

gtyoder

Recruit
Re: 85' 115 HP Yamaha is sneezing

Well i must be on the right track then, i had checked that and i added a fuel/water seperator to it....doesnt seem to be taking water though...so i don't think that was it on mine...I thought it might have been electrical or air or something...anything else i might check?