85 Yamaha 90 HP Warning Buzzer ? Help !?

starcraft

Recruit
Hi, <br /><br />I need help on this one. My warning buzzer starts going off at idle speeds after cruising aroung the lake at a good clip. The engine does not appear to be hot. The impeller was replaced about 30 hours ago. However, this was the first run in about 2 years.<br /><br />Other than the impeller, what is likely to be the problem ?<br /><br />thanks !, john c.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 85 Yamaha 90 HP Warning Buzzer ? Help !?

Yes, I would change-out the impeller. What happens when an outboard sits for a year or sio, is the impeller will form a shape to the concentric pump housing. The impeller you pull out will look fine,but some or all of the vanes will have a curve in them.

starcraft

Recruit

Thanks, I'll check out the impeller. Do you know if the warning buzzer might also indicate oil pump problems (Although I don't think so in my case because it is really running great).<br /><br />thanks, john c.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Yes ,( sorry ,I'm on a one-track path tonight)it could be indicating a low or no oil on an oil-injected engine. The senders are the most common item to fail, and the sound of the buzzer will tell you what's up. Consult the owner's manual for the definitions.

John from Madison CT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The warning buzzer goes off for 2 reasons:<br /><br />1. Critically low oil in the reservoir in the oil tank. The buzzer is not in anyway connected to the oil pump, but bear in mind, these Mikuni-Yamaha oil pumps are very reliable.<br /><br />2. Powerhead overheating.<br /><br />John