1989 Yamaha 115, V4 shift linkage

Salty115

Recruit
I have a 89 Yamaha 115 outboard that has been used in the saltwater since 1989.<br /><br />I need to know about the shift linkage that feeds from the L.U. to the upper section.<br /><br />I have observed, what I assume is the linkage shaft, that is exposed to the environment in the upper unit. The salt air has taken its toll and this piece has rusted almost half away. My concern of course is that the shaft rotates and this is the weak link, since I like to travel off shore, this is a concern.<br /><br />Help in the removal of this piece is greatly appreciated. Also, is this shaft directly to the upper unit, welded to the shift plate or there an easy access, or does this piece couple into another shaft further up.<br /><br />Help!<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />P.S.<br /><br />Just finished reading all of the other posts and came across a similar situation where someone recommended using a "shaft sleeve" held in place by loctite.<br /><br />I would appreciate your feedback and any info someone might have on this item. It could save me a lot of headaches if this is a good fix.<br /><br />Thanks!

Kuni

Cadet
Re: 1989 Yamaha 115, V4 shift linkage

ok the shaft does turn yes and no its not in two pieces.<br />if you look under your reed valve plate behind the carbs right down under you will see where the shift mechanism goes to in the centre of the engine but slightly forward.<br />this is the top of the shaft that you can see at the bottom.<br />to remove this you need to take your powerhead off<br />which means a new base gasket is needed as well you will find a new shift shaft expensive i have had them re-built at engineering shops before with a stainless shaft so they will not rot again.<br />this is a fairly complex job and i would suggest you get a shop to do the work.<br />good luck

Salty115

Recruit
Re: 1989 Yamaha 115, V4 shift linkage

Thanks Kuni<br /><br />I believe that I have identified an alternate.<br /><br />Mcmaster makes SS shaft couplers that will fit the location, I think that with this coupler and some compound like JB weld I'll be fishin by the weekend.<br /><br />I agree the powerhead removal is something someone more capable should attempt.<br /><br />Thanks again for your feedback.