1989 yamaha 130 loses power

chisnik75

Recruit
I'm new to this bulletin, and am looking for some advice to help me solve a yamaha outboard mystery. Own a pair of 1989 130 yammys. These motors push a 21 foot power cat and after warming up, the starboard engine will run at full throttle (5500 rpms) for 10-30 seconds at which point it suddenly fluctuates across the entire power curve and quickly looses power to the point of stalling. Afterwards I am able to start it up and idle around the harbor but when I accelerate to full throttle it exhibits the exact same behavior. I have had both yamaha mechanics and other outboard mechanics run the motor on the beach through the entire rpm range with plenty of warm up time and no trouble. One mechanic thought there was debris in the carbs/fuel lines and competely dissembled the carbs, cleaned them out, and ran high pressure air through the fuel lines and carbs which changed nothing. The yamaha mechanic diagnosed the problem electrical and replaced the stator, again not fixing the problem. I have replaced the fuel filter on the outboard and my primary fuel filter, and use 3/8" fuel hose to ensure plenty of fuel. Now the yamaha mechanic suspects the problem lies in the charging coil and wants to replace it as well. I kind of suspect an electrical problem as well, possibly related to temperature and load, but am getting tired of funding this seemigly allusive fishing expedition. Any suggestions? Please advise, thanks for any help.

Rubber Fisher

Recruit
Re: 1989 yamaha 130 loses power

I am having the same type of trouble with My Suzuki outboard. It runs fine though at idle and slow speeds but as soon as I punch it to full throtle or close to it, it starts cutting out. It acts like an electrical problem too but my mechanic hasn't found a solution either. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated. :confused:

Cheryl Morrow

Recruit

Hi, did you ever find out what was causing your power loss? We just bought (last week) a boat with a 130 TLRS yamaha 1994 and first time out, same thing trottle up and she choked to death.<br />Not a good out come. :confused:

innov8tech

Recruit

My Yamaha 1993 130 TXRR has had similar issues and I've tried several things to try to solve the issue. I replaced the fuel, rebuilt carbs, replaced all filters, fuel pump, hoses, primer bulb and still searching for an answer to the stalling. The stalling occurs occassionally while driving at full or close to full throttle and it sounds as though the engine is getting bogged down. I'll put the throttle back down to neutral and start increasing speed and the engine works great most of the time for a few minutes and then the stalling occurs. Sometimes it stalls and other times it'll be fine for the day. I getting rather frustrated and I'm not sure what to check next. If anyone finds the answer please inform me and I'll do the same.

erniefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

do not forget to check the fuel pick/up in the tank, also check the anti -siphon fixture on the fuel pick up, good luck