winterizing my 2 stroke outboard

balin206

Cadet
After reviewing prior posts I believe the following is the most complete process for winterizing my 9.9 Suzuki (with oil injection).<br /><br />1. Add fuel stablizer to the existing gas.<br />2. Run for at least 15 min to get the stabilized fuel well into the engine.<br />3. Run at 1500rpm spray in foging oil let it smoke bring to idle spray more oil and let it stall by removing fuel feed<br />4. Remove all plugs and spray cylinders with storage oil turn engine buy hand put plugs back in respray engine with wd40.<br />5. I like to put rags in carbs and exhaust keeps things out.<br />6. Drain fuel tank and store empty.<br />7. Next year, fill with new fuel and go. Better to use new fuel, than trust stabilized fuel, and fuel filters will get rid of any condensation.<br /><br />Wondering the following:<br />To empty the fuel tank for the winter, can I take the stabilized fuel and use in my car?<br /><br />With the Suzuki oil injection (I run with unmixed gas in the tank), is it advisable to use a 50:1 mix for the first tank to get a little extra lubrication?<br /><br />Any other comments or suggestions on winterizing would be great. Thanks again.

Bear

Lieutenant Commander
Re: winterizing my 2 stroke outboard

Drain the carbs too. Even if you disconnect the fuel line and let the engine stall there is som gas left in the carbs. You might have some dirt and water there. Stabilizer or not, the gas, dirt and water left in the carbs can turn to jello over the winter.<br />That's what I do anyway.<br /><br />/Bear

Fouled Plug

Ensign

No troubles using the leftover fuel in the car. I don't think you stand to gain anything with the 50:1 in the first tank. Sounds like your winterizing procedure will keep the engine healthy in the off-season. I would add a lower unit lube change (with new drain/vent plug gaskets) to your process and rest easy.

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't forget to replace your plugs and DON'T forget your trailer. These things need attention too...

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Forgot to mention-<br /><br />Take your prop off and grease the shaft. Make sure your prop nut is torqued to your engine spces.<br /><br />I would also run a flush with some marine antifreeze. You can pick this up at west marine.<br /><br />Its a jug that you fill with the pink stuff and connect it your garden hose and then to the motor.<br /><br />You flush you motor until it warms up and then turn the valve on the jug and it lets the antifreeze go in. <br /><br />This way you can eliminate any water from freezing inside.<br /><br />Good luck.

patrolcarr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hello gang. I am about to winerize my 2000 130hp Yamaha 2 stroke. I am pretty familiar with the whole process, but I need to clear up a few small things. First, when should I change the fuel/water seperator, now, or after the winter is over? Also, when should I change the fuel filter? Now or in the sprng? I have also seen some of the posters recommend draining the the carbs prior to storage, how is that done? Thanks.

redstone

Cadet

Originally posted by fishthebay:<br /> <br />I would also run a flush with some marine antifreeze. You can pick this up at west marine.<br /><br />Its a jug that you fill with the pink stuff and connect it your garden hose and then to the motor.<br /><br />You flush you motor until it warms up and then turn the valve on the jug and it lets the antifreeze go in. <br /><br />This way you can eliminate any water from freezing inside.<br /><br />Good luck.
I have been reading up on this board about how to make sure there is no water left in the Outboard motor to freeze and this post is the first that made sense to me,coming from the I/O world.<br /><br />Everyone says to just store the Outboard in an upright position but I keep thinking about the water on the OTHER side of the thermostat.<br /><br />When the thermostat closes on an Outboard, isn't it the same as in an I/O where water is left in the block which can freeze?<br /><br />This is my first Outboard so maybe I am all wet.<br />However,I know the dealer always warned me on the I/O that even the act of letting cold antifreeze get sucked up through the ear muffs would cause the thermostat to close so he recommended yanking the thermostat before flushing with anitifreeze or letting the engine keep sucking the anitfreeze until the overheat alarm went off.<br /><br />Are Outboards diffferent in that water on both sides of the thermostat will merely drain out if left in an upright position?<br /><br />Thanks for any thoughts on my question.

granpafish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by redstone:<br />
Originally posted by fishthebay:<br /> <br />I would also run a flush with some marine antifreeze. You can pick this up at west marine.<br /><br />Its a jug that you fill with the pink stuff and connect it your garden hose and then to the motor.<br /><br />You flush you motor until it warms up and then turn the valve on the jug and it lets the antifreeze go in. <br /><br />This way you can eliminate any water from freezing inside.<br /><br />Good luck.
I have been reading up on this board about how to make sure there is no water left in the Outboard motor to freeze and this post is the first that made sense to me,coming from the I/O world.<br /><br />Everyone says to just store the Outboard in an upright position but I keep thinking about the water on the OTHER side of the thermostat.<br /><br />When the thermostat closes on an Outboard, isn't it the same as in an I/O where water is left in the block which can freeze?<br /><br />This is my first Outboard so maybe I am all wet.<br />However,I know the dealer always warned me on the I/O that even the act of letting cold antifreeze get sucked up through the ear muffs would cause the thermostat to close so he recommended yanking the thermostat before flushing with anitifreeze or letting the engine keep sucking the anitfreeze until the overheat alarm went off.<br /><br />Are Outboards diffferent in that water on both sides of the thermostat will merely drain out if left in an upright position?<br /><br />Thanks for any thoughts on my question.

granpafish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not sure what I did to make the above message appear again but like redstone I've wondered the same thing. There must be some water still in the block, isn't there? If so, then shouldn't some kind of action be taken to eliminate it or replace it with anti-freeze. Any one have the answer? Granpa

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

the thermostat isnt an airtight seal. water will leak out if the outboard is kept upright.