200 hp Suzuki wont go past 3000 rpm

I'm having a problem with my 200h 1994 Suzuki, here is my history:<br />March 14, 2001: Removed High Pressure fuel filter (just before the injector rail) installed a temporary tee and gauge. Ign. key to ON position but engine not running=35 psi; idle=42 psi; 2000-5400 rpm=40 psi.<br />March 14, 2001 The engine ran fine 18miles at 4-5000rpm, mainly at 37mph for 45 minutes, then turned off and trolled with my Honda15 for 3 hours, then fired up Suzuki for another 1 hour at 25-40 mph. Then fished 1 hour. Fired up Suzuki it ran ok for 3 miles, then I slowed and it would not pick up past 3000, or 2000rpm, once it did go to 4000 but was sputtering. No warning light or buzzer accompany this.<br />The fuel pressure gauge showed 40 psi even when the engine was sputtering and wouldnt go over 1700 or 2000rpm<br /><br />Dec 15th 2000 I took the boat out and right after my 20 minute no wake zone I hit it, and it bogged down, so I repeated the above, and it took off just like it used to and I did 15 miles with no problem at ¾ throttle. This time on the way home, when I first started it, it would not get on plane the rpm went to 2000 but that is all. so I played with the throttle, back and forth from 1000 to 2000, and finally it caught and ran fine, all the way up to 5300 rpm and ran strong for the next 3 miles, then while I was at 7/8 full throttle, the engine just gave up and went down to 2000rpm. Again I played with the throttle, back and forth from 1000 to 2000, and finally it caught and ran fine for 5 miles, then rpms dropped to 2000 but I could get it up to almost 3000 a couple of times, and then finally it caught on and took off at full throttle for the next 3 miles, then I hit another no wake zone, almost home and after running at 1500rpms, it refused to go over 2000rpms again.<br />When I say it would run up from 1000 to 2000 or 3000rpms back and forth when I play with the trottle lever it sounded like it was flooding out,or missing or not running on all cylinders and then all of a sudden it would take the gas and go like hell. No alarms or warning lights. <br /><br />.<br /><br />Isn't it significant that I can always run 15-20 miles for my first run of the day, and then run another 2-3 miles or so after fishing before being rev limited, and that I can wait overnite and repeat a perfect 15-20 run, but then get rev limited again. I have repeated this cycle at least 8 times in the last 3 months. Sometimes it wont happen at all.<br />On three separate occassions, including the last time out, the engine has cutout for a brief nanosecond(like a hickup) and then resumed immediately, not even enought to slow the boat down, but enough to make me turn around and look at the engine, this was at approx 4800 rpms.<br />The other thing i noticed was that when the rev limit first happened today, I switched from batt #1 position to BOTH, and the engine, even though it was in rev limit at 2000rpm, it sort of stopped misfireing, and ran smoother, but within 10 seconds, the stumble was back .<br /><br />March 11th, 2001 I bought a compression tester last nite, here are the results: Starboard bank : top,middle bottom respectively: 108,96,110 and PORT bank: 109,102,112.<br /><br />a.) the plugs look good, tannish white, very slightly wet, were new 3 months ago. b.) I installed a new battery and switch last month. c.)I have cleaned the cone filter at the outlet on the vapor seperator, and the cone filter at the inlet of the electric fuel pump. The two cone filters had some tiny black particles, but not enough to block fuel flow. Also cleaned the screw apart clear bowl fuel strainer, it was clean I had replaced the o- ring 2 years ago, been clean ever since. d.) I have cleaned the oil reservoir vent, recleaned the oil flow sensor (found some more crap in it), and took the Oil Reservoir tank off and dumped its contents and found more of the same crap as in the oil flow sensor (looks like clear styrofoam,but with larger air holes, oil can probably flow around and through it, you can break it with your fingers into finer pieces that are still clear and ridged and sharp, almost glass like. I'd say i had approx a total of a 1 cubic inch of this stuff, it is not heavy, in fact it almost floats in the oil, but does eventually sink.). e.) I removed one, then both thermostats, then I put the port thermo in the starboard bank an the stbd in the port; also I put the thermos in hot water and they both opened at the same temp, and still have the problem. f.) I have a a racor fuel filter with a clear bowl and it looks fine, and I did drain the bowl but it was 100% gas. g.) I have used a remote 6 gal tank after the rev limit kicked in, but this did not restore top rpms. <br /><br /> When i initially turn on the ign key i do get the all lights to light up, but then, according to my Clymer manual. a trouble code light sequence using the "check engine" lamp (upper right corner of eng monitor guage)is supposed to flicker a sequence code that tells what sensor or system is bad, but that does not happen. I will check all connections and look for any shorts.<br />And have unhooked and reconnected and retightened all grounds on the engine, the batteries and the dashboard instruements. Any ideas what to try next? thanks Bill

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 200 hp Suzuki wont go past 3000 rpm

BILL, I am no suzuki tech, but it sounds like an efi prob ......it is temp related and from what you are tellin me the motor is going lean on fuel after it fully warms up......may be as simple as a throttle position sensor that is set too lean [cold enrichment will mask it when cold] or sensor is failing when hot...air temp sensor or coolant/head temp sensor could be at fault too. all it takes to screw up the motor is some of these sensor wires to be pinched/broken/grounded. <br />Good luck.

Bluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bill I'm no tech but i had this problem with my outboard found it to be a lose ground connection at the starter.

substuff

Cadet

check the stator with a peak volt tester<br />important I haqd similar problem

finnaddict98

Cadet

Check for DEAD CYLINDER (s).....its seems like the problem appears as the temp increases....resistance may be your problem. If you find a dead cylinder..try replacing the plug and the coil (these are the cheapest fixes) if that dosent work I would grab a manual and check the power pack output and the stator......good luck.....

joec

Cadet

I have expeirianced the same problem with my suzuki 85hp and i discovered the fuel vent on the tanks was closed causing the engine to splutter, then cut out. hope this helps :cool: